Pork shoulder

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A cooking bag? I've never cooked pork before but it would probably turn out nice and tender in a cooking bag/roaster situation like a turkey. :idunno

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, missed this thread while I was in Florida! Best pork roast I ever ate was a recipe my SIL learned from her Puerto Rican grandmother, who she has been learning PR cooking from and my nephew has been learning Spanish from.

For a 5 lb roast, you make the adobo first, use a mortar and pestle for authenticity!

12 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp powdered oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 c white vinegar or lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil

Cut slits in the roast, rub in adobo, cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight. Add water if needed.

350 2-2.5 hours Baste

Mmmmmmm...... :drool

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
SKR8PN,

Do you have plans available for that smoke house?

DH would like to build one.

Also, did you build the smoker itself or did you purchase it?
I had my smoker custom built to my specs by http://www.cookersandgrills.com/ but I built the smoke house myself. I actually built that shed AROUND the smoker. :lol: Sorry to say I didn't have any plans. I just built what I wanted, after looking at a lot of other cook sheds. If you like, I can post a lot of pictures taken during the construction.

A very good message board with TONS of information is http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/default.asp

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Wow, missed this thread while I was in Florida! Best pork roast I ever ate was a recipe my SIL learned from her Puerto Rican grandmother, who she has been learning PR cooking from and my nephew has been learning Spanish from.

For a 5 lb roast, you make the adobo first, use a mortar and pestle for authenticity!

12 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp powdered oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 c white vinegar or lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil

Cut slits in the roast, rub in adobo, cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight. Add water if needed.

350 2-2.5 hours Baste

Mmmmmmm...... :drool
A recipe for home made adobo?!?!?! I LOVE YOU!!! I can't cook without adobo and was very unhappy when I saw the ingredients in the type I was buying!!

BTW all the pork turned out great! Pulled pork sandwhiches for a while now. I broke it down into small packages and then we ate it for ages!!

Thanks for all of the help! I am gonna do that again! :woot

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I bet if you used the white vinegar you could make up a bigger batch and it would likely keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Much less with the lime juice. I would store it in glass, not plastic, though.

You're very welcome!

Latest posts