Possum Living

MrBubblingbrooks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow. The taxes on my house are nearly $3,000 a year! I'll have to check out the book though- sounds good! We have a copy of Handbook of Rural Skills and Technology, "Cloudburst 1 and 2." Very good book with blueprints of all sorts of do it yourself industrial objects and buildings around the homestead.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What!? Your taxes are $3000 per year? Holy cow! I complain non-stop about our taxes at $1200/yr.

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm in the process of reading it now. I have to say that her energy is refreshing and I think it's a good intro read for someone considering a life not ruled by a career/timeclock/paycheck. She's funny and open about the fact that the choices she and her dad make certainly won't fit 100% of the people- not the back-to-the-landers or the corporate type- and that's just it: people need to tune in and make choices, chart their own destinies and decide what they want their living to be like.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Leta said:
What!? Your taxes are $3000 per year? Holy cow! I complain non-stop about our taxes at $1200/yr.
Mine are even higher than 3000. Higher that $4000 too. :/
One of several reasons we are looking to move.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not sure how high ours are, but they're over $2000, and that's w/less than an acre of ground. :/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We should start a new thread on the taxes. Ours are approaching $4K a year, but we did it to ourselves by building a big house. When it's done, we're going to put it on the market.

It was a long time ago when I read Possum Living. The thing that freaked me out was that they didn't go to the dentist until they had to have a tooth pulled...am I remembering it right? And the mother who left, had trouble with abcessed teeth (and got no sympathy)? Being the abcessed tooth queen here, I have bought BMW's for at least two dentists through the years. I see my dentist more often than I see my mother. Agh.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've only skimmed the online version, when it came up here on the forum a while back--some interesting stuff in there.

Marianne, interesting comments about going to the dentist.

I saw a dentist about once a year or so when I was a kid till about age 9, then not again till 16, then not again till I needed my wisdom teeth out at 21, then about every 3-4 years after that. I'm 40 and have no cavities or other dental concerns.

My kids went every year from age 2 till around 9, and now they go every 2 years--no cavities, either of them at ages 14 and 15.

But we also don't see a doctor very often--not even yearly, except for my yearly pap (which often stretches to every 2 years).

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't see anyone UNLESS it is a situation I know I need help. I know my limits....but I am also the person who does have their routine checkups, dental cleanings, etc. to stay on top of situations before they get you into the high money troubles. I have good ins. for dental so the cleanings are free and yes we use them. No teeth is not an option in our family :lol: :lol:

I am the type that would rather spend smaller $ on small things before they become huge $ things.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
An observational study was published a few years ago about a community that was living hours away from a hospital. They wanted to know how access to healthcare affected health in a community. Well, this community was made up of people who took care of themselves and rarely needed a physician. Despite being far from a hospital, their health was pretty good.

I find it very encouraging that we have so much control over our health and healthcare costs. (Obviously, we still need physicians for the really serious stuff.)