Potato Starter and Potato Bread

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am interested in making bread using a potato starter. I found a recipe that I want to use, but I am just wondering if once I have made the starter, if I can use a little bit of it to make the next batch of starter, rather than starting from scratch.

Has anyone else made potato bread that has any tips, or maybe some other recipes?

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know enough about starters to answer you, but I'm chiming in to ask you to post the recipe, please! I just started sourdough starter yesterday, I'd love to have a potato bread one too.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Potato bread is made with the water that potatoes were boiled in.
It is not that same thing as sourdough bread.

Can you post the recipe?

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you are talking about a potato yeast, yes, it will keep for up to 3 weeks in a cool place (this is what I've read).

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
The Salt Rising Bread I make has a potato starter. I'll post the recipe tomorrow afternoon when I get home from the dairy.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is the link for the potato starter and bread recipe.

I would like to get away from buying yeast if at all possible, so I have been looking into making breads without yeast, and I have no shortage of potatoes right now! I just wasn't sure if, for making the next batch of starter, if you have to start from scratch adding yeast again, or if you can reserve some of the starter you already made for a new batch.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Calendula, someone asked that question in the comment section after the recipe. The author kind of answered it- maybe you will understand what she means... I couldn't quite tell if she added more yeast or not!! Let us know what you figure out....

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lesa said:
Calendula, someone asked that question in the comment section after the recipe. The author kind of answered it- maybe you will understand what she means... I couldn't quite tell if she added more yeast or not!! Let us know what you figure out....
Oh, thank you Lesa, I didn't even notice that! ...But you're right, I'm not sure if I understand her answer either! :lol: I'm going to keep researching I guess.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oooh, I like that site :D

It sounds like she keeps her starter like a sourdough. Take out what you need and add back in potato for new food to whats left and let it keep growing. I love potato bread. :drool