Potato Starter and Potato Bread

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love potato bread also! :drool From what I understand, you can make numerous sorts of bread by using potato 'yeast'. So, kinda two different things.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I've always seen the recipes for adding the potato water. This looks interesting. I like the comment about it being earthy without being sour. I've put my bread making back on hold again until I have time to figure it out. A winter project for sure.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
Oooh, I like that site :D

It sounds like she keeps her starter like a sourdough. Take out what you need and add back in potato for new food to whats left and let it keep growing. I love potato bread. :drool
Valmom, I think you are right. From what I've been reading, you can just continue feeding your starter with the potatos and potato water. I have also found recipes that do not need yeast to make the starter, but do call for sugar, like this one:

one medium potato (peeled)
4 cups water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar

Boil potato in the unsalted water until done. Drain, but save the water. Mash potato then add sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm, add enough potato water to make one quart of mixture. Cover and set in a warm place and let ferment. If you like, you can add a package of store bought yeast to speed up the process, but it will be just as good if allowed to ferment without the yeast. This recipe is about right for a large family requiring more than one loaf at a baking.