POTUS Impeachment Trials

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In 1789, Madison proposed twelve amendments to the federal Constitution, the first ten of which were ratified in 1791 and became the federal Bill of Rights. One of the proposed amendments, which was not ratified at that time, was an amendment that became the Twenty-Seventh Amendment and which forbade congressional pay increases from taking effect until there had been an intervening election of members of Congress. Madison did not want Congress to have power over its own pay without limitation. But he also did not want the President to control congressional salaries, since that would give the President too much power over Congress. So instead, he proposed that an election had to happen before any pay raise could take effect. If the public opposed an overly generous congressional pay raise, the public could throw the offending congressmen out of office when they ran for re-election. (from The National Constitution Center).

Maybe if this had passed back in the 1700's, salaries wouldn't be so bloated. If the public had paid attention to what their elected representatives were doing, they would have voted them out when it became apparent that they were just in it to make money.
Personally, I think an elected rep's salary should be the same as the average middle class American. Maybe then they would try harder to protect the middle class, lol

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OCD made me look up that salaries of congress:

Compensation The compensation for most Senators, Representatives, Delegates, and the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico is $174,000. The only exceptions include the Speaker of the House (salary of $223,500) and the President pro tempore of the Senate and the majority and minority leaders in the House and Senate (salary of $193,400).

1 These levels have remained unchanged since 2009. Subsequent scheduled annual adjustments were denied by P.L. 111-8 (enacted March 11, 2009), P.L. 111-165 (May 14, 2010), P.L. 111-322 (December 22, 2010), P.L. 112-175 (September 28, 2012), P.L. 112-240 (January 2, 2013), P.L. 113-46 (October 17, 2013), P.L. 113-235 (December 16, 2014), P.L. 114-113 (December 18, 2015), P.L. 114-254 (December 10, 2016), and P.L. 115-141 (March 23, 2018).

Taken from: https://www.senate.gov/CRSpubs/9c14ec69-c4e4-4bd8-8953-f73daa1640e4.pdf

Not really the salaries that make millionaires. A common Joe like most people here could never afford to run for congress.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am so loving hearing from everyone and your input. What a great group, even if we don't agree the respect is there. Thank you, CC for starting this post. God's Blessings to this great country we call home and to all who reside in it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am so loving hearing from everyone and your input. What a great group, even if we don't agree the respect is there. Thank you, CC for starting this post. God's Blessings to this great country we call home and to all who reside in it.

YW I wouldn't dare raise such a thread anywhere else, but the group here on SS are respectful of each other and very intelligence. I just thought it an important topic, considering the magnitude of how this will end and the impact it will have on the country. We can disagree, we all are unique and bring a different perspective to the table. Contrary to what many would have you think, there's absolutely nothing wrong with disagreement. Handled in a respectful and civil way, disagreements are actually quite healthy and constructive.

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do not think it is respectful to lump all members of a party together - I read several statements about “the Democrats” this or that. I have left two other websites because of the negativity and assumptions, especially about people who do not support President Trump. Why stir this up? Isn’t a focus on self-sufficiency enough?

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do not think it is respectful to lump all members of a party together - I read several statements about “the Democrats” this or that. I have left two other websites because of the negativity and assumptions, especially about people who do not support President Trump. Why stir this up? Isn’t a focus on self-sufficiency enough?
Hi, just for the records I am NOT a supporter of Trump and I don't think I would of, nor have I ever voted for him ( just putting that out there) but I think we have to all start talking to one another again. I personally feel that you can talk about what is happening while holding respect for one another. Personally I feel this Country has become to the point we all walk on eggshells and this puts more fear in me personally. Please forgive me and I apologize if I offended you in any way.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I personally believe the democrats should have just left the people decide at the polls come November.
I just want to bring up a small point on this statement. Referring back to the 2016 vote: The PEOPLE voted for the candidate that they wanted in 2016. The PEOPLE picked the other candidate by over 2.5 million votes. The electoral college put the current president in power - not the people. The electoral college process is a whole other can of worms....

Last edited: