POTUS Impeachment Trials

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now that the democrats have started public impeachment trials. How do you think this will end? This is perhaps the biggest political thing to manifest in my lifetime.

Please be polite and respectful of others in your responses.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Just a quick note that I'm SUPER impressed that this thread has been going smoothly and hasn't been anything reported!

It's so very rare that people can discuss these divisive topics without them going south within the 1st page. Heck, I know I even get pretty stirred-up with stuff that's going on, so my inclination is to not post / engage with it since I can easily get pulled in ;) I guess that's why the majority of active online communities "discourage" political and religious topics.

So, again, great job to y'all on keeping things super respectful!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't like the man that Trump is. He would never be invited to dinner at my house. But I still respect the office that he holds. I didn't think Ex-Pres Obama was a good choice for office either, but I still respected the office he held.

I really hate having to vote for the least evil. But it seems that anyone who is qualified for the job is too smart to want it.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed. I realize this was an off-cycle election year, but of the 6 elected positions on the local ballot, only 1 had more candidates than slots (4 candidates for 3 school board slots), the rest were unopposed. A lot of good people who could run, win, and do a great job, don't because they don't need the circus.

and in related news.....
A graduate student at the University of California-Berkeley took to twitter on Wednesday to express his disdain for rural Americans and those who aren’t “pro-city.”
I don't get over here to SS very often, but really like that this is being discussed. That said, the reference to the grad student/teacher 's post about rural people is so far beyond anything that I can barely even comprehend. I guess that this person that thinks city living is so much more efficient doesn't like to eat..... I mean, I was just speechless at the post. Do some of these people even have a clue to what real life is about? I'll bet that he likes his wine..... where the he// does he think the grapes are grown to supply the winemakers?
These are the kind of people that we will have to take care of if there is some big breakdown in this country, because us "RURAL PEOPLE" will be all that will be between them and starvation.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since most political discussions go south in a hurry due to people hurling insults at each other, I agree that SS is a forum of polite people who can have discussions with out it becoming a brawl. If all we ever talk to is people who agree with us, how are we ever going to reach out to others? A very narrow mind is sad. We can be different in religious and political beliefs and still love one another.

I still want term limits on the people who are elected to office.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Who watched the impeachment on TV today? I turned in and this explains my thoughts exactly
b353bba93bcd42af22c65ae7eabd4f3b.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know I'm the dissenting opinion here..... but:

A president that disrespects the office of the president of the United States of America does not deserve My respect.
Your opinion counts too. You are more than welcome to disagree. It's the rabid, foaming at the mouth, hate filled, on BOTH sides that make me want to puke. Good manners, politeness and respect for others have flown out the window.

I was proud for our country that we elected a black President. I did not agree with his politics, but I respected his office. I received many email forwards that were racist and ugly. I deleted them because I did not want to be a part of promoting ugly hatred.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Democrats had better come up with a reasonable alternative if they want to win. There is exactly one Democrat running that doesn't look ridiculous... I shall keep to myself who I think that is 😉

I pretty much consider myself a libertarian, I think both parties are being ridiculous. I lean Republican, and vote for who ever defends the 2nd amendment. I don't mind a lot of Trump's policies but come on, the guy's a jerk. I don't think he should be removed from office though.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've seen numerous elections and I've never seen the rabid hatred that I've seen during this presidency. Some people were even calling for Trump's impeachment before he had taken his oath of office! Almost every other president has had to deal with people not liking them and/or their policies, but not like this. I just haven't seen anything that would indicate that Trump is any better or worse than any others, from BOTH parties.
I too have seen alot of elections. I have never seen the amount of hate and unwillingness to go about doing the business that they were elected to do as has been done these last 3 years. I don't like Trump per se, never did like his show on TV which I seldom watched except when at someone elses house. I was born and raised a Yankee, yet sometimes I find his attitude off-putting. YET, I did vote for him because I could not vote for someone who stood behind her husband in all that he did that was so abhorrent to my sense of decency. Plus, being from new england, had plenty of experience with the strongholds of the "rich and priviledged", and there was as much corruption there that you cannot believe. I am conservative in my thinking, and am honestly tired of all the "give aways" to people who do not work, or think that they are entitled. And having lived in a state that taxes are through the roof, cannot see where "taxing the rich" will accomplish anything more but to drive them to move their businesses elsewhere.
But the facts are that it was stated from before he even took office that he needed to be impeached. The members of the house have not even been afforded the ability to do their job if the speaker will not bring pieces of legislation up for votes. So even if there were "impeachable offenses" that I also have just not seen, they are not doing the job they were voted into office for.
I hope that I am never accused of a "crime" and then not given the fairness to defend myself.... having secret closed door hearings, with no ability to rebut others accusations. We are supposed to be INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. This is a guilty because we say so, and the only ones you can hear are the ones we choose for you to hear.
This is a sham if you honestly look at it from a neutral point. I would never want to be "tried" by a group such as this for anything.
I agree that regardless of whether you like him or not; he is the President and the office demands respect. I disliked Obama and found his policies pretty bad, but decency made me respect that he was the president. His health care plan was a disaster for so many and I don't know if we will ever get it fixed.
The one thing that sticks in my mind from that era, is the comment that was made by Pelosi, that you have to pass it to be able to read it. How many of you will go into a "contract" and sign it before you know what you are signing??????