Poultry Shears Recommendation

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use the kitchen shears that came in the knife set for cleaning chickens. Most is done with a sharp knife - I part them out (bone-in/skin on), cut in half, or cut off the breast meat for boneless skinless. wing tips, backs, necks, etc. I use for broth. I only use the shears for cutting in half - I cut the ribs to get back-bone out to split in half.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a good sharp knife. That does the bleeding, gutting, and disjointing. Needs frequent sharpening. I have a pair of kitchen shears. (sadly no name brand written or engraved on them) They have a hingy doo-hicky thing that allows them to be completely taken apart at the pivot, so you could use one blade as a knife if wanted, though I never do. I love those shears and use them on almost a daily basis. Then, for heavy duty stuff, I use a new pair of stainless garden nippers.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, so the shears omare a minimal use item; it's more about the knife. That's what I'm taking away from your two comments

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have no brand name for the ones I picked up at the Costco Business Center. Just affordable spring loaded poulty shears.

I use a pair of hand pruners when taking off the lower legs and wing tips when I butcher. I rarely deal with the effort to remove the feathers at the tip. Just have to keep the pruners separate and oil them with food grade oil after cleaning.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like a carbon steel knife for that job; it seems to take and hold a sharper edge. I save my stainless knives for regular kitchen work.
For the turkeys, we had to resort to a cleaver and mallet for some parts.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'll also chime in and say a knife is easiest for everything except for cutting the spine or ribs. I like Fiskars poultry shears. They are spring loaded which makes them easier on my hands.

1586369086169.png

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would love to learn to spatchcock. I'm sure it's just a matter of deciding to do it... then practicing a bit to find the proper place to cut/break. Any readers spatchcock a duck? I have 16 duck eggs due to hatch Sunday, and am picking up an other 18. !0 of the first batch are Welsh Harlequin, and the other 6 are either pure Blue Indian Runner (so there may be some blue, some splash and some black, if I understand the genetics of it.) or IR x Khaki Campbell. So... they will all be light duty birds, but, I expect them to be tasty. I've never tasted duck! I hope to sell a lot of the ducklings to cover feed costs, but, am sure I'll end up eating some of the drakes. I did my gender egg shape selection so... it will be interesting to see if it will work with ducks. Also, setting a second batch of chicken eggs on Sunday.

Latest posts