POV on PBS

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the most interesting things to me was the interview with the guy from some giant food-tech-business. He has absolutely no qualms about making food in that manner; kind of a 'better living thru chemistry' guy. I think there are a lot of people who are like that, tho; even if they see where their food comes from, it won't really phase them at all.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
DH and I happened upon this movie on PBS and I was shocked. Not that I'm naive about the process, but I just was taken aback when it was really thrown out there. I applauded Joel, and many of the farmers who were "rebels" . I then found out the my FIL and BIL, as well as all of the farmers around here, are controlled by Monsanto. I had no idea. It truly made me ill.

I've been to processing plants all over the country, and DH has seen his fair share as well. It doesn't turn me against meat, as I'm a carnivore to the end, it does really bring to light my reasoning for going as SS as possible.

And don't get me started on the government part of the whole deal.... :duc

card5640

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I saw it this week and it has been on my mind non-stop, even interrupting my sleep..grrrrr. Monsanto wooooo evil evil, what they are doing to those farmers. The look on the seed cleaners face as he realized his long time friends names were on the hit list too, because they paid him w/ checks was so sad to see. It is a shame that we Americas have let big business control law with paid big time lobby workers and that the people we elect are so easily swayed. I was shocked to see how many mom and pop organic foods are being bought up by the biggest companies in the world. Soon we will only eat what McDs and Coke and Con agra, Smithfield and Monsanto says we can. I used to believe that we Americans were in total control of our health and weight I am not so sure anymore.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
How long is Food Inc ? I would like to watch it with my DH but he doesn't like to watch movies, cause it requires him to sit still too long. Seriously. He records stuff then watches it on tv so he can pause it, and go do other stuff for a while.

I didn't see a counter that said how long it takes.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it was about an hour and a half if I remember right. I was kinda disapointed that he didn't go into more detail onthe subjects. He talks about the contamination from the cows, but he doesn't really explain how feeding the grain causes the cows stomach to become more acid which causes the bacteria to become more resilient and how that it is making us sick now and not so much before when our acidic stomachs would have killed it.

Dh and I both have worked at a chicken plant, and dh actually testified in court for a woman who got really sick and developed breathing problems from the chemicals used there, and everyone who worked there developed a rash and sometimes their family did from being around them. He and I both got the rash and so did our son who was about two at the time. Of course the woman lost the suit, just like the people monsanto goes after, she didn't stand a chance. AND the nurse that worked at the plant refused to testify that she had ever seen the woman.

I didn't realize that there were so many, in such high positions of power at the government that had held positions at these companies.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
How long is Food Inc ? I would like to watch it with my DH but he doesn't like to watch movies, cause it requires him to sit still too long. Seriously. He records stuff then watches it on tv so he can pause it, and go do other stuff for a while.
It's like an hour and a half or hour and forty-five minutes, BUT it is divided into segments so you don't necessarily have to watch the whole thing in one sitting. He could watch one 'chapter', then the next later on, and so forth.

Pat