Power a TV with an AAA Battery !!!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Power a TV with an AAA Battery! It is on the internets, so it must be true! http://bnsn.com/Vy

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Who would have thunk?
Now I have to go home and try that just to see #1 if it can really be done and #2 how long the battery will last.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is a fake. tried it then read where they say it is a fake. Felt stupid afterwards.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
It is a fake. tried it then read where they say it is a fake. Felt stupid afterwards.
:yuckyuck :lol: NOPT laughing AT you, laughing WITH you.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
It's just too funny because there are so many ways it wouldn't work. The big ones:

Batteries are Direct Current. TV's (that plug into a house outlet) are Alternating Current

A battery is 1.5 volts and a TV uses 110 volts (ya, that's a big difference)

Even if you stepped up the voltage on an AA battery and converted it to AC you wouldn't have enough electrical "juice" in an AA battery to even make the thing blink.

I just thought the video was funny because they are so serious and make it sound legit. It has been viewed about 2.5 million times, so I can only imagine how many people have given this a try.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Nifty said:
I can only imagine how many people have given this a try.
Probably includes most of the people on BYC who pop up all full of plans to run coop heat lamps off a $15 solar panel and no battery ;)

Pat

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Though this is nothing but a joke it can be done:

A triple A battery has about 2 watts available, series 8 of them to get 12 volts then parallel 12 groups of 8 to get 100 watts, that will power a small LCD TV for about 30 minutes (including inverter drain). So $100 for 200 AAA batteries you can save a full one penny in electricity. In comparison a D cell battery has about 20 watts and would only need 40 of those.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
:th

That's a LOT of batteries!

BTW, I didn't understand the "save a full penny in electricity"? You're not meaning compared to KW/Hour rate charged by electric company, right?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Nifty said:
:th

That's a LOT of batteries!

BTW, I didn't understand the "save a full penny in electricity"? You're not meaning compared to KW/Hour rate charged by electric company, right?
Yes, from the electric company it costs me 10 cents for 1000 watts so for 100 watts it is only 1 cent.