Power a TV with an AAA Battery !!!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, I read your post wrong... sorry! I thought you were saying "$100 for 200 AAA batteries will let you save a full one penny in electricity" :)

I wonder how many potatoes you'd need in series / parallel to run a TV (remember those potato clock science projects)?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Not to derail the subject but since you brought up the potato battery, I did a quick search for any specs and came up with this site:

http://latteier.com/potato/

Using his math (which doesn't add up right).

1 potato = 0.5 vdc @ 0.2 milliamperes

500 potatoes = 5 vdc @ 4 milliamperes, with the numbers above it would calculate out to 10 milliamps, but maybe he had some bad ones.

So in using his single potato specs in order to get 12 vdc we need 24 in series which will also give 2.4 milliwatts, so to get the 100 watts for the TV we will need to parallel 24 groups of 41,667 for a grand total of one million and ate spuds (1,000,008).

I only have the smaller Yukon golds in the house so I will not be testing this battery out, if I even had remotely that many potatoes I think making a good vodka would be of better use.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Funny video - it is quite disconcerting on the number of people who actually think it to be true science, I watched some of his other videos and like the why he does his techno babble.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I love it! Example of how you can't believe everything you see on the internets.

His presentation, introduction and "techno babel" sounds so legit you just want to believe him.