power company has me in tears -- up date we saved the orchard!

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay so we have been fighting to even get the local power company to come out and look at our sit, give is a number, tell us what needs done where they are going to be coming in ect. Every day the story has changed from one thing to another. All week they have said we are coming up over the hill from the neighbors horse pasture.

They were told they HAD to call and make sure someone was going to be there so any questions could be answered and we could make any objections we felt necessary. They also had told us for three weeks that they would be trenching it because we live in the woods and they no longer go over head in the woods because maintenance is a nightmare.

Then decide Monday that they are going over head because it would be to costly for them to trench it since we are over 500ft from the nearest pole and that is what THEY do for free on a new construction is 1 pole and 500 ft or less of line. We spend all night til dark last night after work trying to see what all they are going to destroy going over head now. I cry a lot, more of why I was moving there gone they are now going to be able to see our house from the road and I get to stare at the neighbor's place from my front window across the field. But maybe it wont be too bad.

Okay so this afternoon we get a message on hubby's cell.
"That oh I was AT your site I have no idea where your house is setting because you have too many flags on the site for it to be clearly marked"

We had the I don't know where the house is going problem with them last week with them even though it was clearly marked by 4 flags one one each corner as the builder told us to do. So hubby out lined the entire house shape with flags and wrote HOME on the ground in it with orange landscaper's paint thinking who can be so dumb that they can't find it now. But the power guy says he could not find where the home was going.

"You will have to mark the definitive driveway because I went up a winding dirt road and think it was the right place but you have to mark the drive way because that is where we are going to come up." HE drove up the one lane wide drive way it was what he was calling the dirt winding road! And what do you mean that is where you are going to come up!!!! You said you were coming from the neighbors because it was the nearest pole!

HE goes on to say that they can no longer come from the neighbors field because on a location inspection they found they can not maintain it coming up over the hill so that is no longer an option. What the hell do you mean you can't maintain it you have not maintained any over the local right of ways for over 6 years! At this point in listening to the message I am livid and shaking. And it only got better.

"YOU as the property owner will have to clear the 40 ft! right of way for us to run the lines boarding your driveway. And it needs cleared so that was can maintain it properly (spraying and cutting off everything in the right of way at the ground once a year). Everything in the area needs to be cut off at the ground with no stumps higher then 3 inches and all brush, limbs and logs must be removed from the area completely."

This just happens to go right over our orchard, the last thing my dad and I did together before he died. It was started 3 years ago and every year we add to it. I have hundreds of dollars on this orchard and they are saying if I want power from the local company which is required by law here to obtain your occupancy permit, they all need removed. As well as a 30ft tall black cherry tree that I had to promise my dad before planting the orchard that I would never remove.

I can't even go solar and go off grid because the law here states that even if you produce your own power you must be hooked up to the grid, sell it to the local company and the purchase it back. NO grid hook up no permit to live in your own home on your won property!

The guy went on to say that "I will be in the office for about 10 mins yet before leaving for the weekend. If you have any questions or need me to come out there AGAIN to explain it to you in person you need to call so I can make arrangements to do so. I can pencil you in for Wednesday at 9 am sharp between other jobs that do need my attention if needed but you need to let me know. I will not be back until Tuesday so if you can call me while I am still here it would be best."

That was at 2:32 this afternoon we never got the message til after 3 o-clock. We measured the distance from where they want to come now it is 100 ft over the 500ft they pay for. They say we have to pay that and for the second pole that it is going to require out of pocket. It is $4 a foot for the extra distance and I could not get a quote on the pole because the person who takes care of that had already left for the long holiday weekend.

I have done nothing but cry all night. I have no where to move the orchard that I have worked so hard on and put so much money into. And besides that it IS the LAST thing I did with my dad before he died and none of this is suppose to mean anything. I knew that the entire moving thing was going to be super stressful I planned for that. But so far in the entire process I have pretty much lost all ability to make any of the decisions or have any part of the project my way or fitting my dream.

I had to give up my big truck patch size garden in order to fit the mobile home we went with because it had more floor space for less money to go single wide. I am thrilled with the more space but devastated by the loss of the garden I had already mapped out and greenhouse I have already purchase and now have no where to put. Yes we have 19 acres but it is heavily wooded, that is what we wanted. It was horribly timbered which removed most of the old growth trees all but those that were not strait for lumber. Crushed, smashed, delimbed most of the smaller young trees that were left behind. And made a huge brushy mess that it will take the better part of 10 yrs to clean up. I lost all my trees in what will be my front yard to the horrid that is where the sand mound is going to have to go. The lot that was cleared to put the house and garden is tear dropped shaped to do the natural slope of the terrain, we are on a large bump between to valleys. The open spot we cleared is the entire hill top there is no room to expand it.

The once beautiful place that my daddy said "this is where I want you to live" is no longer a beautiful place and every day even for all the back breaking work it is not getting better it is only bring more disappointment. I would hate to say it but it makes me wonder if I should just tell hubby I am leaving for the summer you do what you have to do. And when I get back and it is done, well what is done is done and my dreams of our home I had in head will have to just be dreams.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow that's horrible. There's NO way the power can go around the orchard? I've never had to deal with this before, but I know the headache it can cause. My parents put in water and power to the end of their property (waterfall, and lighted gazebo) and it cost a small fortune. My mom called me every single day to complain about the process.

I hope things work out for you. Personally, I'd start being a massive pain in the butt to the power company, but I don't know if that will actually be helpful.

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I know this is incredibly disappointing, but I am wondering if you need to maybe step back and take stock -- and possibly consider living somewhere else. I am in a situation -- living deep in the woods on a lot in the middle of family land, and DH and I have really begun to have serious regrets. I have so little sun and so little room for gardening, etc. and that's the least of it. I won't bore you with the problems, but I'd hate for you to regret this the rest of your life. Might it be possible to sell the place and find something more suitable for what you wanted?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Nightshade - Stop and take a deep breath. Remember you are at the mercy of the system. I know, been there, done that. And as wrong as it is for the power company to do this to you - apparently you have a busy guy with lots to do and he probably hears the same story from everyone. You are just another job and those orchard trees are just in the way for him.

Make your appointment with him. Meet him there. Be nice and humble. Cry a little when you explain the orchard situation. Walk the area and ask him if there is not another solution. There is a real big possibility that he does not even have a clue those are fruit bearing trees.

I discovered a long time ago if you ask for a suggestion from the person that is a bee in your bonnet they sometimes will have one. These people are either very busy and just want to get the job done or either full of themselves because they are "in charge" and feel threatened if you start telling them what to do.
Make it as personal as possible. The story about your orchard along with a few tears might accomplish your goal.

I know the above suggestion should not be necessary but sometimes we just have to do what we have to do.

Is it possible to place the house in a different location? Maybe the power guy will suggest that also. Just remember.... any suggestion he makes don't dismiss it. Think on it for a day or two at least. Maybe there is a reasonable compromise. It is possible that the more important you make him feel and the dumber you act about the whole thing, he may go out of his way to help you.

(If the above sounds like a type of manipulation it is because it is). But sometimes to accomplish a goal you have to be able to read the person you are dealing with. Figure out what his weakness is and go for the sucker punch.

Sorry, I grew up in a time when women were considered "The Little Woman" and not intelligent enough to have a clue. So I had to figure out how to make it work for ME. Reading your opponent in any fight is a must.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I feel for you!
Possibly, once you and the guy get together on your property you can discuss this and come to another arrangement on location.
:fl

We have electric and phone lines coming through a lovely wooded ravine. All our large windows purposely face this view. A storm took the lines down and it was three months before they erected a replacement pole, and strung them. They laid on the ground as a hazard the entire time.
When they restrung they cut some trees.

When the phone company came out to restring 12 months later(!?!) they cut trees, strung it but never switched the down line to the new. Winter came and buried the old phone line for another 6 months. I called this spring, 1 1/2 years later, to get the phone co out to connect the phone to the new line and remove the old. They cut more trees!
These bozos don't care.

I wonder if you could call your electrician to have him advocate for you with the guy at the electric co after you explain what you want?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
And....as a last resort, call the Public Service Commission and complain about the service being provided. The many varied excuses, the missed appointments, the changing requirements....it all adds up to poor service from a utility you must have. You're at their mercy...they think! Most folks don't know that the Public Service Commission regulates these folks and they take their job very seriously.

This avenue has worked for me twice in the past and its amazing what quick results you actually get! Within 2 days of the call, you get a correction in behavior and later a form for you to fill out to describe the corrective action that you actually received. Love the PSC! :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For our property we have a commercial electric meter about 100 ft from the house. The lines come from a pole adjacent to our driveway. Then we went under ground the rest of the way. Is it possible to have them bring the power to a meter in another spot. Then run it under ground to your house. I know it may cost a bit on your end to get from the meter to the house but it might save the trees.

I don't know just an idea. I am sorry you have this problem. I hope it works out. :hugs

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you can't get them to come out when they are supposed to, how would they even know if you had solar power? You could say you were still working on the system while you were waiting for the hook up :D

Reaction score
2dream has the best idea. The guy should not have left you such a lengthy detailed message. Things like that need to be discussed face to face. Moving into a new home or building a new home is always a nightmare. You always have visions of just what you want, then have to settle for something different and usually not quite what you want. You may have to pay some out of pocket to get what you want. I would get a printout of regulations from the power company. It would seem that since it is your property, you should have some input. This guy is obviously real busy but he is trying to take the easy way out by leaving you a voice mail instead of explaining the situation and discussing it with you.

Good luck.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone. Every time I go to the farm now I sit at the orchard and cry for awhile before I can go and work on what ever was the project of the day. Today it was clearing more trees from the sand mound area which every time some one comes out it too grows in size errr. The only good thing about this was I was able to make 19 white oak 6inch by 6ft fence posts for my goat area out of some one of them. 6 more and I will have all I need for my little temporary goat area. I will keep you all up to date on how we make out with the power company.