power company has me in tears -- up date we saved the orchard!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
NIghtshade, I just noticed your signature line is almost identical to the one I use. LOL GREAT MINDS.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
If you do have to remove some of the orchard you could take cuttings of each tree and graft onto rootstocks, technically keeping the same trees.
It would be a great SS skill to learn, in the process.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay so today was the meeting with the guy from the power company. It also turned out to be my little guy's last show and tell of kindergarten. Both at the same time so I took the goat to show and tell and Hubby went to see the power guy. This was probably best with my temper anyways.

So all goes well at the school I get back on the road and find I can't get Hubby on the cell so he has to still be on the lot. I head over and found surprisingly good news.

After almost 3 hours of bickering, debating and down right arguing it was decided where the line would go. Right up along our drive way but one the opposite side the guy wanted to go, sparing my orchard. But clear cutting a 30ft path from our house down though the woods to where our horse pasture is. Adding two poles and removing a 10ft high 20ft wide gravel bank. We have to do all the labor ourselves. It will cost us around $700 for the connection which is alot less then the 1,500-3,000 he quoted us yesterday on the phone from what he could tell from online information he could find about our site. He found that our deed and the courthouse still don't line up on how much acreage we have, which has been a battle since we got the piece. So that is another trip to the courthouse again to try to get it straiten out.

Okay so this is a lot more open then I wanted everything to be but I spent the morning convincing there is a good side to this. Here is what I decided.

1. we saved the orchard that was the biggest thing that could happen.

2. I lost my area for my garden where I had originally wanted it, well now I have a 30ft wide 200ft or better long open spot I never wanted. So after they are all done and out of there, if I can not find a spot to put a nice garden and little green house ect something is wrong with me.

3. okay so the little trees on the edge of the gravel bank have to go anyway because now that the leaves on I am getting tired of them hitting the truck when I drive in and out. And with the rain this week I am sure that there is some areas in the driveway that could use some gravel.

So all in all it was a good day. I am losing another 15 mature oak trees and a half dozen or so birches and a bunch of small (under 10 inches around and 50ft tall) trees but it is so much better then it could have been.

:ya we saved the orchard

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Sounds like you might get some firewood out of this too.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sounds great!

I like your positive outlook too :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
YAY!!!!!!!!!!! You saved your orchard!!! I'm so happy for you!!