power company issues

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
We are getting used to the new house too but the extra random charges are what I just can't wrap my brain around. The fact that that charge could or could not be applied and the fact that apparently no one knows exactly how much it is from month to month is what gets me fired up.

The plain fact is that no matter how much I cut my own usage, as long as I have a bill-whether that bill is $1 or $200-I will be charged that fee.
I do get what you are saying! this extra charges and fees is just plain stupid.
My gas bill looks like this
Customer Charge--$10.50 (so now I am charged extra to be a customer?)
Gas Distribution Charge--$22.26
2008 u-13898 UETM Surcharge--.24(WTH?)
Energy Optimization--$1.93 (another WTH is this?)
Gas Cost Recovery(true charge of what we used)--$59.81
Residential Michigan Sales tax(WHAT? We don't pay enuf Freaking taxes?) $3.79
Total Charge $98.53 (I was rounding down earlier)
But what is up with all this extra crap--a customer Charge--if any other business charged you a fee just to be their customer they would go out of business!
The electric bill has even more lines of extra "fees" and "charges".
As a people-- we are being "fee-ed and charged" to death! :somad

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lori that stinks
an "automatic" monthly fee (and for what?)

I am so glad I don't have that lol it would drive me insane lol

I don't know about co-ops....but our little town of Maiden --the power cost is insanity. The town "buys" power and resells to the residents. And yup it is expensive and they can't get out of it either. It is the only power available. My friend at the grocery store says her winter bill is like $300-350 every month. I would die and her home is like 1100 sq ft. Yikes---I told her I would move, it would be cheaper lol

best ya can do Lori is cut the power usage. and yea you still get that "fee" stuck on there but you can lower that bill.

just sit down and think about what alternative power costs will be....solar installation possible, use of propane etc. put it on paper and have a good look before you go running off and buying ways to save power but it costs ya alot lol

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh I know....we've been talking about the tankless water heater for a while but I have heard that sometimes you have issues getting enough pressure with well water.

Our current water heater that came with the house is like 6-7 years old, I think. The problem is that the hot water in different points of the house is inconsistent. For example, our master bath (closest to the heater) usually is pretty good. If I fill the bathtub though in colder weather I can't get enough hot water sometimes to justify taking a bath. In warm weather it is usually fine which makes me think we may need to insulate the pipes under the house. On the flip side, the water in the kitchen faucet will scald you and you couldn't take a decent shower in the kids' bathroom if you tried. The water will not get hot at all. Right now they are okay with it but it will not get hot in there at all. I wouldn't shower in there. I had to raise the temp on the water heater to 140degrees just to get it hot enough in the kids' bathroom. Here's the weird thing....the water in their sink will scald you but the bathtub won't get hot.

I don't get it. :hu

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have issues with our power company too. I agree that they should not have a monopoly!!! I thought we had laws against that sort of thing in this country! :somad

How is it that these companies can charge what they please and come onto your property and do as they please :he :somad

Lori, is the kids bath water coming out cool from the tap, or is it that the bathwater in the tub won't stay or get hot. I find in the winter I need to let the tub warm up, so I use very hot water to start the bath and let the tub warm up. The more prudent alternative is to insulate the tub. Alas it is not my house. Insulating the pipes would be a good thing to look into also.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Oh I know....we've been talking about the tankless water heater for a while but I have heard that sometimes you have issues getting enough pressure with well water.

Our current water heater that came with the house is like 6-7 years old, I think. The problem is that the hot water in different points of the house is inconsistent. For example, our master bath (closest to the heater) usually is pretty good. If I fill the bathtub though in colder weather I can't get enough hot water sometimes to justify taking a bath. In warm weather it is usually fine which makes me think we may need to insulate the pipes under the house. On the flip side, the water in the kitchen faucet will scald you and you couldn't take a decent shower in the kids' bathroom if you tried. The water will not get hot at all. Right now they are okay with it but it will not get hot in there at all. I wouldn't shower in there. I had to raise the temp on the water heater to 140degrees just to get it hot enough in the kids' bathroom. Here's the weird thing....the water in their sink will scald you but the bathtub won't get hot.

I don't get it. :hu
You need to open up the handle for the water to the shower and tub.
They have a built in safety valve to prevent burns.
You can manually adjust them to allow more hot water to come through.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
You need to open up the handle for the water to the shower and tub.
They have a built in safety valve to prevent burns.
You can manually adjust them to allow more hot water to come through.
I agree and be sure you turn the temp back DOWN on that water heater! Mine is set at 120 degrees.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Cool....I tried but hubby just will not let me turn it back down. I may do it again on the sly and see about the faucet situation. That may be the culprit in the kids bathtub.

I also think we need to insulate the pipes under the house too, couldn't hurt and its cheap enough to do. Maybe that will be enough to turn it back down without hubby finding out :hide

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup that insulation of pipes will help you definitely
every little bit helps

my water heater is set at 120 also

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We also are having a problem with our electric bill.

Our last bill was over 200.00, we have an electric furnance with a heat pump, with all electric appliances.
I keep the heat on 64most of the time and up to 66 at the highest.
We live in an 1800 ft manufactured,7 year old home.
I also wash in cold water, and only use the dry for jeans and towels.

Last month the electric co. installed new "more efficient" meters and everyone in this area bill went UP!! When ask Why the electric company replied--We where getting away with lower bills because of the old meters,and should of been paying more for years.So I guess we have been getting a deal for years and are now going to pay big for it.

So now Iam known as the electric nazi around here "turn it off"is my new motto!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Seriously you all can choose your own power company?!?! I have never even heard of that...the only choice we have, is power or not. :/