power strip savings

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea it is amazing how those old freezers could be sucking energy to the max...good deal to get rid of at least one. When you shut if off I would love to see that savings.

it is terrible how some homes and junk eat up energy.

I am 4 regular refrigerators, 1 small chest freezer, 1 bigger chest freezer, lights at barn, automatic waterers, regular usage in home (2000 sq ft) , pool in summer, with AC being used occasionally---my highest was $148.

Obviously all can not be compared apples to apples...but yea, something is eating your power! Go kill it..LOL

time to make those freezers into animal feed storage units! :)
LOL

1stepcloser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I need to do this. We have TVs, DVD players, satellite receivers, cell phone chargers, computers and monitors all sucking us dry. I just need to write myself a memo to TURN OFF THE POWER STRIPS so I don't forget. LOL

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
For the way I live, those power strips have made a big (well-big for me-lol) difference. I use some thing rarely while others a lot. Before, even if I had it on a single switched power strip- I would forget to turn it off more often than not, so all those infrequently used items were basically always on..
For instance, The stereo system might be on all the time because I had forgotten to turn it off but it was never used at the same time as the TV- also The TV and VCR were on the same strip and I would have power to the VCR even though it weas not often used even when the TV was on. Same sort of thing with the computer - before if I turned on the computer, the printer and photo printer came on even though I did not use them often while I used the computer itself a lot.
Now, for instance I can turn on the TV and digital converter at the power strip and leave the stereo and VCR off- as all the switches are in the same spot, I do not forget to turn off what I rarely use. Even if I forget to turn off the TV, at least the other things are off.
Since I don't watch the TV and listen to the radio at the same time, it is easy to turn one part off when I go to turn the others on.
It has made a $5-7 per month difference each month, I don't have to reset all those items that blink at me after every power failure, the things that are off are safe in a power failer (as you can tell, it's common around here,) and I save money.
Makes me feel much better than saving a miserly little amount on electricity ought to do.