prairiegirl...ramblings from our little farm

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
The reason we want to sell one, butcher the other, is because the one we sell will hopefully pay for the butcher cost and pay to buy 2 more bottle babies. It will be another year or two, I think, before we see much of a profit margin on the beef, but worth it in the end.
That's what we always shoot for - to get ours free and hopefully a little extra. We are fortunate to have found a good source for bottle calves. We got 3 last Christmas (2008) and then bought 4 more from the farmer in September (2009). We've been happy with them. We did lose one right before Christmas.

If we had the resources (mainly manpower - and that would be mine) we would raise more. We have many people asking to buy from us. It's nice to have repeat customers.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's been a busy week. I had my youngest grandson (he's 3) the first 3 days. He keeps me busy. We went shopping with my Mom Wednesday. She's having back problems and that was a chore helping her, pushing the stroller and cart. She treated us to lunch and we did have a nice visit.

We still have plenty of snow, but it's dirty snow. It has a hard layer of ice on top making it difficult to walk. But, it's better than the alternative - mud.

Thursday, I had the day to myself. I love my family, but I enjoyed the time alone. I got laundry done, wood carried in, the last of the butter made and some sewing done. I've sewn for many years and I never had a cover for my machines. Yesterday, I made covers for the serger and the sewing machines. I had the perfect fabric for this project. It's an all over button pattern.

Today, I will again have some alone time. I get so much done then. It's a full day.
*Chickens/Ducks - Clean water dishes, tubs, boxes
*Sweep, vacuum, scrub floors
*Bathroom
*Bake bread
*Bake oatmeal raisin cookies
*Make Chex Party Mix
*Wash work clothes and rugs
*Work on quilt
*Sweep off porch

Thankfully, I don't have to carry in wood. My DH got home early last night and hauled in extra.