Prepare for a silly question regarding eggs.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, if I have a recipe that calls for only egg whites or yolks, can I save and freeze the unused part of the egg? I'm thinking freezing, but maybe refrigerate too.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I refrigerate the egg yolks for about three days and then just added them to scrambled eggs or an omelet. I am also not positive but IMO since you can freeze eggs, I don't see why you can't just freeze part of the egg. Just my 2 cents!:)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yes, for sure you can freeze the yolk or white separately, although I don't recall having actually done it myself. I believe the recommendation is to add a pinch of salt to one or the other, for some reason, you might want to google 'freezing egg yolks whites' or something like that, for specific instructions... but definitely you can do it :)

Have fun,

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yes you can.

An old friend, who was really very old, back in the 80's used to freeze 3 eggs each in a dixie cup (usually her cake recipies called for 3..oh, it may have been 2, but you get the picture).

I am not sure how long these keep though. Im sure quite a while if wrapped up properly.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great! If I have extra whites, I can use them baked on the top of bread, and if I have yolks I can use them in cookies or save them for homemade cat food. (which I am determined to attempt) Eventually I bet it will all work out, I just got tired of wasting whatever part I didn't need.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Great! If I have extra whites, I can use them baked on the top of bread, and if I have yolks I can use them in cookies or save them for homemade cat food. (which I am determined to attempt) Eventually I bet it will all work out, I just got tired of wasting whatever part I didn't need.
Once you have chickens, and thus plenty of eggs, you may find that it makes as much sense to just microwave (or whatever) the unused parts of the eggs, and feed 'em back to the chickens as protein.

This is especially handy when the unused portions can no longer be used for food -- like when you're dipping things in beaten egg to make breading stick, you know how there's always some egg and some breading left over that you can't save? I just mix them together and zap for about 50 seconds in the same bowl the eggs were already in, and presto, happy little protein pancake for the hens :)

Have fun,

Pat

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want chickens so muuuuuuch. :hit I love having them. Barely any food waste, rewards (eggs!), and lovely content clucking.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You add a pinch of salt to any frozen egg yolk (before frozen). It is supposed to help it from getting as rubbery.

Clever idea about the dixie cups.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Go past the "dixie cups"

use a "reusuable and washable" equivalent.

Waste not want not and save money and the environment!!!!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pat, you've got it right. You could also use those 1/2 cup Ball or Kerr canning jars.

Latest posts