Prepare for a silly question regarding eggs.

dnsnthegrdn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I read in a book that suggested putting them in ice trays then bagging them once frozen. Just take out the amount of egg cubes that you need.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've frozen them in the past in ice cube trays. Then pop them out into freezer bags, or put the trays into a bag.

Re-use the bags, of course! ;)

Now I have a bunch of Tupperware ice cube trays with snap-on lids. I love to freeze things in them and store them in them, too.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Been doin' it for years!

I mix a little salt in mine and freeze in an ice cube tray. 1 big ice cube = 1 egg in a recipe.

You can also mix in a little sugar. Salt and sugar both help with texture.

:thumbsup

dnsnthegrdn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ignorant question, but when you say mix in. Do you actually scramble the egg when you add the salt or just kinda swoosh it around. I've never done it before.

Does it make them rubbery or something when you freeze them? Is it something that you can tell if you add them to breads or just if you eat them by themselves?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I just stir them up like I was scrambling them.

If you don't add the salt or sugar they get ... sort of thick and a bit weird.

I use my frozen eggs basically to cook in the winter when egg supply is usually low. That way I don't have to take away from my precious fresh egg frying supply.

I just get the egg cubes out in a bowl when I first start the recipe to allow them to thaw a bit, smoosh up any frozen slushy bits and use like normal eggs in the recipe.

I have also allowed them to thaw in the fridge and used them for scrambles or french toast the next morning if I am completely out of fresh eggs.

No question is ignorant. How will you learn if you don't ask?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no question is useless....

just tell that to hubby about asking for directions when driving...LOL
:lol:
:gig