Preparedness Lessons from COVID-19

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
So, I am curious what are some specific lessons you all have learned about preparedness since this crisis began. I am going to reply too, but want to hear what others have learned!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a few extra roos! I keep some in a "bachelor pad" away from others. They are fed & ready for service or butchering as the needs require. Olders will make the stew pot and young hatched this year will take the space up & grow to butcher size. I have broody hens & fertile eggs.

I've learned that I'm pretty prepared. Yeast was my ONLY low stock. I resolved that!! Found some. I'm good for a couple years. Freezers, canned goods, pantry full. Plenty of TP because I stay stocked.

For me, my animals feed are my greatest concern....I mean, they are fine, stores open and all but -- what if? So keeping a larger stockpile of hay (like I used to do!!) is my goal. Reseeding some pastures with things that will "winter" this year. More home raised feeds are my goal. I have mangel beet seed, turnips, winter wheat, etc. I found chicory seed today....have several clovers, alfalfa, peas, etc. to help winter forage and storage feeds. I look to regrowth & nutrition value. In my area, many in ground items can be mulched and used as needed....veggies, etc., for human & animals.

This yr will really make us all look hard at our operations. While I have a generator that can plug into "house meter", it takes gasoline. Obviously, a propane unit would be more desirable as I could keep far more in a tank to operate longer. A goal for the future. Now -- I'm blessed to have what I do!!

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Something others have learned: some children are thriving with home school- they are able to get more sleep because they don't have to be at school at a specific time, they find they do better without the distraction of social interaction in class. ON THE OTHER HAND... a lot of parents are developing a much deeper appreciation for just how much work teachers do.,. and they aren't even having to deal with an entire class, just whatever number of children they have.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Here are some of the lessons I have learned:

1. If you have the infrastructure, equipment, knowledge, and a little money you can pretty much be back to capacity in two weeks. I had downsized a lot with the intention of moving this summer and hopefully purchasing a place. However, that does not look to be the sensible. So, I have been able to bring all of my livestock projects back and go back to "survival gardening" in no time.

2. Don't underestimate the power of grains and protein in long term storage. Every meal includes one of each.

3. I am thankful for the library that I have invested in over the years. I have dozens of how-to, gardening, and preparedness books that I have purchased. Plus, theology books and fictional books to read during the down time. That's information and entertainment.

4. Finally, the biggest lesson I have learned is the power of time. My biggest problem the last few years has been the lack of time to dedicate to self reliant living. I now have the time needed to be efficient at this way of living. It is really a reminder to me that I need to slow down when things resume as normal.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I learned that most people desperately need to prep their mental health! I am totally fine, but I'm shocked how many people are just falling apart at the seams! This is a prep that happens every day. Grow some SS and persistence! Cultivate your support system! Learn to thrive in solitude. Jeez!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, I did have to give serious consideration to the kind of meals DH could/could not eat in a SHTF scenario. Rice is a no-no for him as well as most breads/grains. He can eat a small amount of beans without a blood sugar issue - but he is a challenge. I, however, took advantage of the situation to eat as many carbs as I could stuff into my face, lol. You know...as a sacrifice and all that.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have learned that I am pretty well prepared too, which was a lovely surprise :D . I am not even on to the last pack of loo roll that I had stored before the virus started.

I learned that hiding chocolate from myself is a bad idea, because then I spend a lot of time looking for where I have hidden it, only to find I have eaten it all. Maybe if I can see how much I have left, I wouldn't eat as much... maybe. Haha.

A freezer would be really handy for meat, but I knew that before anyway. The stimulus isn't going to cover a new freezer for me with the increased costs elsewhere, but I am still looking into it. I wanted a chest freezer but someone told me they cost more to run.

Mental health wise... well I am shocked people are having SUCH a hard time of it. There are more adverts for mental health care here than there are for the virus now. I have felt a real improvement in my mental health without the pressure of conforming to a social system I have never fit into. I have managed to join my congregation twice a week via zoom when the travel is prohibitive in usual times. I have saved money in petrol costs, clothes and energy in avoiding social contact.

I do use the internet a lot and if the electricity went out, it would not be fun, but I would survive. I have plenty of cookbooks, some gardening books, camping, rope skills etc. I would like a crochet technique book as I have to look online a lot for that. I'd also like to get a book that tells me which plants of australia are poison and which are useful as if things got bad I would utilise the natural bushland more.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sh, don't tell DH, but I have been known to slice off the freezer burn and cook the meat anyway. But only if it is just a little freezer burnt. Dogs like the extra in their food anyway, so it isn't "wasted".