Preparing For Your Livestock....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've been feeding my flock on whole grains for a few years now and am soy-free. I sprout the smaller grains to increase the protein value and to deal with the anti-nutrient issue. I use no vitamins or supplements. I supplement with free-ranging and in the winter with "lawn hay" that the hens can handle. They share scraps with everyone else, and they get any meat or fat scraps.

As long as you take three weeks to switch them over, they'll do fine. Studies have shown that they will lay fewer eggs, but those eggs will be larger, so the production is essentially the same. Meat chickens will do well, too, and in all the chickens, there will be far fewer incidence of disease, especially coccidia.

Whole grains can be stored for longer without rancidity or nutrient loss. And you can plant them and sprout them. And grind them into flour for your own use.

My goats get whole grains as well, but only the lactating does, selected pregnant does (according to need) and on occasion, an older kid that needs a boost....like Plum right now, who could use some help with her growth spurt so she can be bred in another month or so. Otherwise, she wouldn't be getting sprouted grain. I boosted Ginger last year with bundles of leafy branches and she grew great on that, but she was an earlier baby than Plum so I had more time.

I learned all this from Harvey Ussery's articles and from researching some studies online, especially from other countries. The ag colleges in this country are funded to support the corn and soy industries, so they are not going to get funding to study ways to get your animals off commercial feeds and soy. They are gonna tell you that you are too stupid, without a degree, to balance your animal's diet yourself. Harrumph!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
from researching some studies online, especially from other countries.
I agree about the american, and canadian ag colleges. Do you have any links to studies from other countries? I would find that interesting, and probably helpful.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am working on producing most of their feed at the homestead. I am going to make some hay from lawn trimmings, lots of corn from the garden, plus all of my animals forage (except for the rabbits but they are getting a tractor to forage in). Im sorta prepared for the livestock.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
from researching some studies online, especially from other countries.
I agree about the american, and canadian ag colleges. Do you have any links to studies from other countries? I would find that interesting, and probably helpful.
A quick google search....although these were not the articles I originally read.

http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd17/4/pous17045.htm

http://www.animalfeedscience.com/article/0377-8401(85)90022-7/abstract

http://www.foddersolutions.org/pdf_files/Benefits_of_Sprouted_Grain.pdf

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone, what alot of great info and links...! I don't like being dependant on laying pellets, etc..
I've got alot to learn about this stuff and you guys are great..! :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
DuppyDo said:
Thanks so much everyone, what alot of great info and links...! I don't like being dependant on laying pellets, etc..
I've got alot to learn about this stuff and you guys are great..! :)
I dont like depending on layer mash either....its not sustainable.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish I could talk with my grandma. How is it that she raised chickens on nothing but garden scraps, table scraps, and what she planted for them and they foraged and she had plenty of eggs, a chicken dinner whenever she wanted one (though we ate mostly rabbit, venison, and squirrel, in that order) and chicks that hatched easily enough with nothing more elaborate than a coffee can and a light bulb?

Absolutely no medications or wormers or feedstore feed. I think only the rabbits and hunting dogs got bought feed, and that not exclusively.

The dogs DID get a kerosene dip (I think it was kerosene) once or twice a year, but that, along with her nursing skills, was the extent of vetting on the farm.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I know I ask my Granny how her momma raised chickens. She said they got table scraps and they ran out and that was it. And any spilled livestock feed from the cow.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
I wish I could talk with my grandma. How is it that she raised chickens on nothing but garden scraps, table scraps, and what she planted for them and they foraged and she had plenty of eggs, a chicken dinner whenever she wanted one (though we ate mostly rabbit, venison, and squirrel, in that order) and chicks that hatched easily enough with nothing more elaborate than a coffee can and a light bulb?

Absolutely no medications or wormers or feedstore feed. I think only the rabbits and hunting dogs got bought feed, and that not exclusively.

The dogs DID get a kerosene dip (I think it was kerosene) once or twice a year, but that, along with her nursing skills, was the extent of vetting on the farm.
My granny did the same. She kept a barrel full of field corn next to the coop and we little girls would go out and shell a few ears to the chickens in the evening....that was all they got. Grandma always had a thriving flock of chickens.

She also never bought an ounce of cat food...all her barn cats were self feeders.

Dogs got table scraps and nothing else. Pigs got slop...garbage with soapy dish water in it. Maybe a few ears of field corn along with it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Our grandparents, and great grandparents were true homesteaders. I really think we should all strive to be like them. My Great grandfather raised leggerns and they got two ears of corn a day and they ran out. Always plenty of eggs.