Preparing For Your Livestock....

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
we've only ever fed our chickens corn. Just straight corn. Granted they all freerange, so they aren't sitting in a little pen with only that to nourish them. It helps having grain farmers in the family though.

For supplementing feed, the animals get all of the grass clippings after mowing. We've fed tree trimmings, weeds from the garden, leaves in the fall, and so on.

In the past when we've been short on hay, we cut ditch grass, haul it back to the shed on a tarp, dry it, and feed that. I remember my mom and I did that an entire month with a goat in lactation, back before we had pasture and couldn't find any hay to buy.

We feed bark, sticks, grasses, leaves, etc to the rabbits.
We now have a small plot of alfalfa have to usually harvest by hand (but we have used the tractor and cutter to do it in the past). We rake it ourselves to dry in the sun, and then haul it back to storage on a trailer or in the back of the pickup.

Another thing we also do, is when we see a pile of spilled grain or screenings near a bin at a neighbors, we'll call and ask if we can collect it. Then off we go with the cart and 4-wheeler. We've gotten a lot of grain that way. We've had one neighbor call and let us scrounge through a section of his field to pick up cobs of corn that he never harvested and were snowed under. That lasted the chickens an entire summer.

Also, if you don't mind your animals (pigs, chicken) eating 'bad' food, ask around in your circle of friends. We'd have many people give us boxes of stale crackers, cereal, etc. for the chickens and pigs (when we still had those). It's free!

I also wanted to add - many animals today are bred the way they are for a reason, specifically for our needs. More yields, more food, more income, etc. Because of this process, many animals will not, or cannot successfully revert back to the basics. Many animals would be very poorly conditioned if they were to go without quality hay or any grain. That is why it is important to choose your breeds wisely!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL on the getting bashed part, BB.

I feel I'm spoiling my chickens by having a scratch feeder, a laying pellet feeder, and oyster shell cup in the coop. Honestly, they used to barely touch the feed when I freeranged them. I started losing so many to predators that I keep them locked in the attached run most of the day, which of course they decimated. They are eating more feed now. I feel like I'm only a small step above factory farms since mine only freerange an hour or two a day when I can watch them.

It's been funny to watch the animals this fall. The rabbits are SO excited with leaves falling onto their cages. The goats were hoovering up lots of leaves. Funny -- there are still tender green plants growing (and I gotta seed the rye NOW) but the geese have been eating fallen leaves and hay. And the goats seem much more interested in bark these days.

I thought it would be a lean time for them with more reliance on feeds and hay, but everyone is stuffing themselves daily.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Yup! Bark and fallen logs are some of the goat's favorites. They'll get neck deep in a hollow rotting log for a snack at times. Bugs? Who cares! Extra protein they think. :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I've never admitted this (especially on BYC) for fear of being bashed, but we've only ever fed our chickens corn. Just straight corn. Granted they all freerange, so they aren't sitting in a little pen with only that to nourish them. It helps having grain farmers in the family though.

For supplementing feed, the animals get all of the grass clippings after mowing. We've fed tree trimmings, weeds from the garden, leaves in the fall, and so on.

In the past when we've been short on hay, we cut ditch grass, haul it back to the shed on a tarp, dry it, and feed that. I remember my mom and I did that an entire month with a goat in lactation, back before we had pasture and couldn't find any hay to buy.

We feed bark, sticks, grasses, leaves, etc to the rabbits.
We now have a small plot of alfalfa have to usually harvest by hand (but we have used the tractor and cutter to do it in the past). We rake it ourselves to dry in the sun, and then haul it back to storage on a trailer or in the back of the pickup.

Another thing we also do, is when we see a pile of spilled grain or screenings near a bin at a neighbors, we'll call and ask if we can collect it. Then off we go with the cart and 4-wheeler. We've gotten a lot of grain that way. We've had one neighbor call and let us scrounge through a section of his field to pick up cobs of corn that he never harvested and were snowed under. That lasted the chickens an entire summer.

Also, if you don't mind your animals (pigs, chicken) eating 'bad' food, ask around in your circle of friends. We'd have many people give us boxes of stale crackers, cereal, etc. for the chickens and pigs (when we still had those). It's free!

I also wanted to add - many animals today are bred the way they are for a reason, specifically for our needs. More yields, more food, more income, etc. Because of this process, many animals will not, or cannot successfully revert back to the basics. Many animals would be very poorly conditioned if they were to go without quality hay or any grain. That is why it is important to choose your breeds wisely!
Haha on the bashing, I can hear em now!!! I feed layena free choice and they get corn and they forage. Im eventually gonna quit buying layena they hardly ever eat it. I figure that eventually we wont be able to buy feed for our animals. For some ridiculous reason. What do you feed them in the winter time?

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You do realize that most of the members here are also on BYC as are all the mods. We do tend to discourage forum bashing on all the sites as listed in the rules all agree to upon joining.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I almost missed that you added this, BB.

Good point. I tend to look at the breeds available and what is said about them these days though there are a few on my wish list, for the reason you mention.

Chickens change fast. I have RIR, BA, BO, SLW, BR, and silkies for setting. I notice the RIR roo really does a roo's job better than the others, but what I REALLY notice is how well the RIR and BOs forage and how alert and aware of their surroundings they are. I'm going to experiment with selling purebred chicks and pullets next year, and if they don't bring in enough money to justify it (maybe even if they do) I'm going to work on breeding my chickens for laying/foraging ability regardless of breed. IF I can deal with the predator issue.

I'm not saying those breeds are best suited -- just saying that among my chickens they are. There are other breeds I'd like to pull into the mix in that case.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Shiloh, In my experience I've noticed that when it comes down to setting and foraging capabilities, mutts are the best - they also seem to produce the hardiest chicks. However, big layers they are not. And you are so right - breed genetics differ from flock to flock. So this probably doesn't hold true for everyone.
What you're doing with chickens is what I want to do with goats. Breed purebred animals that are structurally correct and great milkers, yet still have that hardiness and resistance that mixed breeds have. So far so good.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Speaking of goats ...

I'm still sad about losing my girls. With the young male llama that died and my big girls all gone, it's totally different out there.

And to be honest, until I can build a bunker for them I'm not willing to risk more animals. Seems I stay up almost all night listening for coyotes and something has to give. I'm going to need sleep when I go back to work!

But I saw an ad an CL where a dairy is selling down their herd. I've emailed them to find out if they plan to sell more next year, when hopefully I can afford them and might have a new shed built next to the house. Their goats are all mutts. They have been crossing Nubians, Saanens, and Oberhasli and have started in the last couple of years to bring in Nigis to increase hardiness, make smaller goats, and increase butterfat.

I'm interested, at least. I'd thought about Kinders before too, but I figured I was established with what I had already.

Not sure exactly what I'll do. Just thoughts that crossed my mind. I especially wish for my sweet Nubian girl back, and was looking forward to those Nubi kids from her. My buck is Nubi. But I guess i have to replan now.

I think hardiness regarding disease and parasites are most important to me. Milking ability and kidding second most important. I guess I want goats that are bred to DO WELL without lots of specialized intervention. I don't want to breed toward sickliness or fragility.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Traits within a breed can vary a lot too. I only have 7 welsh harelquins, but boy are they all so different. I have a few traits I have noticed in my birds that I really want to focus on (intelligence, personality, foraging ability, egg color, etc...), but it seems that one bird has the best looking eggs, one is a better forager, one is the friendliest, etc...LOL

I am currently trying to figure out who to breed to who next Spring. I think I have it narrowed down, but I keep changing my mind! :p

One thing I am sure about is that I want to keep my flock pure bred just because it makes it easier to sell off any surplus.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres do you make any cheeses with your goats milk...? Isn't high butterfat content good for that...? I've heard the best hard grating cheeses are made for goats milk, true...?