Preparing wood cook stove UPDATED with pic!

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Best wishes with your stove.

We also use stove black (stove polish) on ours once per year. But it doesn't have a griddle serface like you described on yours.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Laura,
I am really excited for you! How big is your cabin that you are moving to this summer? It sounds great. There is nothing like owning your own place and have it paid for.... Your stove looks very nice too. I love any kind of wood cook stove. I'm excited to hear about your adventures coming up so keep us posted.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help! I'm definitely going to have to see if I can get some lard, or I know I can by it unrendered from our local butcher, so I may have to end up rendering some myself.

I do not like chemicals at all so I'll probably make up some homemade stove black. My brother made some a while back and it works great so long as you keep up on it.

sufficientforme- I'll have to check that book out, it sounds like exactly what I need!

Kimnkell- I'm really excited too! Our original plan for our "permanent" cabin is 20x20 with a full upstairs. However since we now have plans to finish our tiny cabin and live it that while building the "big" cabin, I'm going to try to convince my hubby to make it at least a little bit bigger. :) The tiny cabin is 7.5'x15' with a half loft. We are basing the pattern somewhat after Tumbleweed Tiny House Companies models. Although it will not be permanently moveable, it is still small enough to move without permits.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought I would drag this up and show ya'll some pictures. We brought it out today and set it up. We didn't cover it up the greatest so we need to clean up some more rust, and the legs aren't on yet. But it still looks pretty nice. :) I discovered tonight the thermometer on the oven door is only about 10 degrees off. Yay!

270651_2033948022795_1667030501_1903023_7610334_n.jpg

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Wow! That's a beauty.
If the weather is good, you could wipe the cooktop and stovepipe down with the oil and do a little outdoor cooking to get the oil soaked in. Just make sure the branches aren't too close.