Prepping for dogs?

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone included their dogs if they are prepping? What kind of training do you want them to have? Just wanting to talk dogs and prepping. I would like my big two to be more useful. Also what gear do you have for them?

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I was at a fast food place getting a burger with my kiddo.

In walks a women on oxygen. nothing else 'I could see'. maybe 'anxiety service dog'??

But I gotta tell you that having that dog in a food place while eating didn't sit well with me. Kiddo kept asking to make BOLT a service dog. I had to explain the whole situation of certification and reasons for it etc etc etc. 7 year old took a bit to convince that her dog couldn't be one to get into food service places LOL

I understand the need. I understand the use. I understand the allowance, but still a scuzzy (and this one was) pet in with food just made me ICK.
There is a Vietnam vet here with a service dog. He said it helps him keep his head on straight because the dog is dependent on him and when he zones out the dog helps him "find his way back". His daughter said before the dog he would wake up with nightmares or sit and stare out the window at nothing for days. It was so bad that scared her.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
terri probably a post traumatic stress case, lots of vets are having issues with ptsd and theres alot of psych service dogs going out to them
as someone who quailifies (and is HOPING dozer calms down enough to become) a s service dog, it REALY bugs me when people abuse the situation lying about it being a serive dog ect...a dog is nto a service dog unless it is trained to perform tasks that assist its disabled owner in day to day activities.
but we also MUST remember that not all disabilities are visable, theres nothing saying that dog wasnt a medical responce dog ect (as a side note dogs ONLY for emotila support are not considered service animals, they MUST be task trained...

in my case it would have to be a combination of psych and medical responce, nonw of which are visable (unless something happens) and most people would easily look at me and scoff "thats not a service dog" or "she doesnt NEED a service dog" and that is something we need to stop as a whole...

However it is your RIGHT to ask "is that a service dog" and "what kind of tasks doe he/she do" (you cant ask what their disability is or what the service dog is in terms of a technical name, but you can ask HOW it helps the person) in my case ideall the responce (assuming i can get him that far) would be along the lines of "he respondes to my medical condition by fetching medication and help" or "he assists with my balance" ect..

but thats completly off topic. all my dogs (yes including the 5lber) are packers, they each have (or will have im waiting for dozer to finihs growing lol) their own pack, the lil guys cant carry much in terms of supplies but they can carry a few small water bottles and some basic stuff. (both are actually already proven adept at catching and eating mice, chipmonk and squirrel so i wouldnt realy need to bring food, but water obviously would eb a must. both are also excelent "alarm" dogs.
Dozer im hoping to turn into a much more suffificnecy style dog, not only training him as a service dog (again pending hs maturing lol) but id love to have him pulling a small cart...

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
unfrotunatly deb thats how it is with MOST "none visual" disabilities, people assume because you "look normal" you must be and therefore your just overreacting.
somethign i unfortunatly get frequently...
i cant tell you how many times the topic of me training my boy as a service dog has tunred into someone telling me "but theres nothing wrong with you", or "oh its not THAT bad" they have no idea how these things can serious effect things that most folks take for granted!

tressa27884

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I also have a service dog. My standard poodle. I love him, and it makes me nuts when people want to "make" their dog a service animal...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We keep enough water on hand for them at all times, though they prefer to drink out of the big pond. :sick

We have a German Shepherd Dog (80 pounds) and an Australian Shepherd/Blue Heeler (42 pounds).

I always have extra dog food on hand. I don't keep to much of a stockpile so that it doesn't go stale. 3 bags at a time. But they can eat anything that we can mostly. I know what not to give them

I bought packs for them, and put them on them to get used to regularly. I have boots for them as well, for rough terrain. We also want to start up hiking with them, so will get use out of everything now, too.

I want to put in some gutters on the metal awnings to capture rainwater to help water the chickens and dogs.

I'd really like to get a harness and teach the GSD to pull. She'd be willing. She loves to do anything for me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had useful dogs but they passed. Now I have a non useful dog other than a security barker. Papillion. Too small to do anything but be a friend and comfort.

Good idea to 'use' your dogs in daily use if you can.

what kind of dogs do you have?

training to pull a cart is a great idea!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Start by getting away from electronic training devices - anything that plugs in or has a battery.
Then boundary training and recall training. What do you do when your now-highly trained SHTF assistance dog chews the last leash and runs away?
Make sure your dog is completely safe around livestock. If you run out of kibble that dog is going to start hunting - looking for easy prey.
Some dogs will "mouse". Free food.
Pulling a cart or sled is excellent help. When I had a weight pull dog, she would pull a garden cart or a tarp while I was working in the yard.

I have a lot of ideas since I trained and use service dogs. Dogs can do an amazing array of useful behaviors. You don't have to be disabled to have a helpful dog (but let's be real, that doesn't make it a service dog and if you pretend and take it out in public you could be facing felony charges).

If anyone is interested in HOW to prep for your dog with training, I'm happy to help.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was at a fast food place getting a burger with my kiddo.

In walks a women on oxygen. nothing else 'I could see'. maybe 'anxiety service dog'??

But I gotta tell you that having that dog in a food place while eating didn't sit well with me. Kiddo kept asking to make BOLT a service dog. I had to explain the whole situation of certification and reasons for it etc etc etc. 7 year old took a bit to convince that her dog couldn't be one to get into food service places LOL

I understand the need. I understand the use. I understand the allowance, but still a scuzzy (and this one was) pet in with food just made me ICK.

Latest posts