Prepping for dogs?

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone included their dogs if they are prepping? What kind of training do you want them to have? Just wanting to talk dogs and prepping. I would like my big two to be more useful. Also what gear do you have for them?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We keep enough water on hand for them at all times, though they prefer to drink out of the big pond. :sick

We have a German Shepherd Dog (80 pounds) and an Australian Shepherd/Blue Heeler (42 pounds).

I always have extra dog food on hand. I don't keep to much of a stockpile so that it doesn't go stale. 3 bags at a time. But they can eat anything that we can mostly. I know what not to give them

I bought packs for them, and put them on them to get used to regularly. I have boots for them as well, for rough terrain. We also want to start up hiking with them, so will get use out of everything now, too.

I want to put in some gutters on the metal awnings to capture rainwater to help water the chickens and dogs.

I'd really like to get a harness and teach the GSD to pull. She'd be willing. She loves to do anything for me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had useful dogs but they passed. Now I have a non useful dog other than a security barker. Papillion. Too small to do anything but be a friend and comfort.

Good idea to 'use' your dogs in daily use if you can.

what kind of dogs do you have?

training to pull a cart is a great idea!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Start by getting away from electronic training devices - anything that plugs in or has a battery.
Then boundary training and recall training. What do you do when your now-highly trained SHTF assistance dog chews the last leash and runs away?
Make sure your dog is completely safe around livestock. If you run out of kibble that dog is going to start hunting - looking for easy prey.
Some dogs will "mouse". Free food.
Pulling a cart or sled is excellent help. When I had a weight pull dog, she would pull a garden cart or a tarp while I was working in the yard.

I have a lot of ideas since I trained and use service dogs. Dogs can do an amazing array of useful behaviors. You don't have to be disabled to have a helpful dog (but let's be real, that doesn't make it a service dog and if you pretend and take it out in public you could be facing felony charges).

If anyone is interested in HOW to prep for your dog with training, I'm happy to help.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was at a fast food place getting a burger with my kiddo.

In walks a women on oxygen. nothing else 'I could see'. maybe 'anxiety service dog'??

But I gotta tell you that having that dog in a food place while eating didn't sit well with me. Kiddo kept asking to make BOLT a service dog. I had to explain the whole situation of certification and reasons for it etc etc etc. 7 year old took a bit to convince that her dog couldn't be one to get into food service places LOL

I understand the need. I understand the use. I understand the allowance, but still a scuzzy (and this one was) pet in with food just made me ICK.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a pulling harness and are working with the new pit so he can learn to pull the wagon- I use that thing all the time.

And the catahoulas are good around the stock. They will bark at strangers and act like they will rip your head off but not sure how they would act if we actualy needed them.

We can hunt small game for the dogs, plus rabbit and quail and such.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My ex-sister in law managed to get her yorkie on a plane in a carry-on, as a "service dog." I think her obnoxious "I'll sue you" attitude did most of the convincing. Agreed, FarmerChick, very tacky. She was so proud she had pulled one over on the airline.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I ever get another dog, I'll be training it from the getgo as a service dog. But, I have a legitimate medical condition. (For those that don't know, I have an inner ear disorder, Meniere's disease, and am subject to vertigo attacks. When one hits, I can't even get out of bed.) I hate to see people take advantage of something like that.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I ever get another dog, I'll be training it from the getgo as a service dog. But, I have a legitimate medical condition. (For those that don't know, I have an inner ear disorder, Meniere's disease, and am subject to vertigo attacks. When one hits, I can't even get out of bed.) I hate to see people take advantage of something like that.
My daughter was diagnosed with Meniere's. She hasn't had trouble with the vertigo for about a year now and I'm glad.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I was at a fast food place getting a burger with my kiddo.

In walks a women on oxygen. nothing else 'I could see'. maybe 'anxiety service dog'??

But I gotta tell you that having that dog in a food place while eating didn't sit well with me. Kiddo kept asking to make BOLT a service dog. I had to explain the whole situation of certification and reasons for it etc etc etc. 7 year old took a bit to convince that her dog couldn't be one to get into food service places LOL

I understand the need. I understand the use. I understand the allowance, but still a scuzzy (and this one was) pet in with food just made me ICK.
There is a Vietnam vet here with a service dog. He said it helps him keep his head on straight because the dog is dependent on him and when he zones out the dog helps him "find his way back". His daughter said before the dog he would wake up with nightmares or sit and stare out the window at nothing for days. It was so bad that scared her.

Latest posts