Prepping/stocking supplies

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At our house it is basically anything with long expiration dates and can be eaten right out of the package or with minimal ingredients.

Basic cleaning and toiletries

Baking supplies including spices. Honey and maple syrup are great for long term storage.

canned tomatoes in glass. should last several years at least if the seal remains unbroken.

pretty much anything in glass now that i think of it. :)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
canned tomatoes in glass. should last several years at least if the seal remains unbroken.

pretty much anything in glass now that i think of it. :)
Agreed, but wasn't sure if canning was an option, it isn't for everyone.

We always have some soups, tuna, spaghettios (for the kids), oatmeal, etc that you can literally open and eat or only have to add water to. Sometimes those 'feel good' foods are nice.

tripletfeb

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Keeping a large amount of canning supplies in storage proved to be a very good thing for me when the shortage hit. Even helped out my uncle on lids.
Last year, I can't tell you how many stores I called and went to looking for lids. I even ordered from Amazon and they were supposed to be Ball brand but they were a cheap China knock off. I had to return them and ended up ordering them from Ebay. I should look into that again

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am also eating more from home stores... but still watching for bargains when I am in a store. Still picking up some tp and stuff when I am out .....
Oil barrel price has come down some... gas here at the local stations is back down to 3.99/gal....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I won't be out of meat...all be it chicken, goat and pork...but strongly considering a feeder steer. :idunno it's still not free to raise any of these but, it's available! Everyone remember eggs are great protein 😊! Also, I've been eating a lot less meat even though I am well stocked in freezer..

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i follow the western water situation on a daily basis (both California and Colorado). it's hobby of mine and also because i have relatives out west and it gives us something to talk about. :)

the large reserviors on the Colorado River (Lake Mead and Lake Powell) are at pretty low levels, but they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, holding water from the wetter years so they can be used for the dry years. the past 20yrs though have been pretty tough with two or three major series of drought years.

last year's snow pack was dismal on top of the previous summer's almost complete lack of monsoon rains so the soil was really dry and soaked up almost all of the snow melt (even if the snow pack was near normal).

this year's hydrological season is much different in comparison. the snow pack is currently around normal but there has also been a lot of monsoon rains and other events so the soil moisture level is much better. not that this makes it a guaranteed better water year than last year but it should be better if we pick up a few more winter (well now coming up on spring) storms. alas, the weather forecast is not looking that great for the end of the snow accumulation season. like with anything weather related we'll just have to see. there can be some big storms yet.

as for electrical generation Lake Powell does not reach critical pool for that until it reaches about 3490ft (the intakes are at 3470ft but they can't run them without some buffer above them because they don't want to suck in air which can mess up the turbines). right now the level is at 3524.5ish which gives them some time to plan for changes if they're needed. the forecast though is for it right now to bottom out someplace between 3515ft - 3520ft. so things are probably ok for this year. the bigger question is what about next year... and that is entirely weather dependent.

Lake Mead is a different issue. it continues to fall because Lake Powell has reduced releases.

for power generation Lake Mead has to be at or above 1050ft and currently it's about 1063.8ft.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My family has in-laws that reside in France and it’s starting to get real over there. Fortunately they are rather wealthy but they have begun to use an extra apartment they have as their store room and have been putting food and supplies in there. My sister was breaking down the dollars per euro conversion and she said that a liter of gas costs over $2 in France. They have been told that by winter they won’t have enough gas to warm their houses. Technically they do own both homes but they are referred to as apartments because of being connected to other dwellings and they aren’t allowed to install fireplaces or wood stoves in the city. I was trying to suggest kerosene cook stoves and looking into camping gear for emergency heating. I also learned that the family had just sold the grandparents country house. Not good. I understand they don’t live as I do but they might have had a place to retreat to all ready and could have shared a few chores with family. Sis suggested they get electric blankets. They have been trying for over two years to come to Louisiana but COVID messed things up or so I am told.
So is that coming here? I don’t know but sometimes I think we get warnings.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We still have oil lamp fuel from Y2K. Don't know if it's still good. We use candles if the power goes out. I would like to make an olive oil lamp.

Baking soda is a great cleaner to have excessive boxes of, and inexpensive. Also good in place of tooth paste.
thats a great idea