Prepping/stocking supplies

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i tend to just hord anything i think ill need later. its not really a good thing. like the tower of mason jars. glad i have them now tho!

oh, now see, i don't consider those hording at all because we do use them each season when needed. every reuse also means the investment was money well spent. :)

the motor oil thing...well i got a buddy that just took his truck in for an oil change. it cost him $90 for the fancy synthetic his truck requires. it cost me $12 to change my oil at home because im always looking for sales and stock up when i find them. i have enough oil and filters to change the oil on our vehicles 5 times and my mower 3 times. i need air filters for the cars tho....

that's a lot of vehicles and a place to work on them i'd do a lot more than i do. but after i sold my car i have zero inclination to even do that, because once i do it then i have to either store the waste oil or find a proper place to dispose it and that would just be at the mechanic's place anyways. just let him do it and he can deal with all that...

speaking of filters its cheaper to buy filters for your home air-conditioner by the case from an hvac supply house. saves money and you have them on hand when you need em.

they've gotten rediculously expensive for what they are. :(

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
looks good to me. :) flash lights, a few candles, propane fireplace and what i would probably now use is a new toy which replaces my old battery back up for the computer. since the new unit allows you to turn off the beeps it is tolerable to be used to run an LED light for hours at a time if needed. unplug all the extra stuff i wouldn't be using and it could go a few weeks.

i do have some old kerosene railroad lanterns and at least one of them works but i've not burned it in many years. fumes bother me more than it is worth. our last power outage a few weeks ago we mostly used the propane fireplace for light and keeping warm and warming up food and drinks. it was like camping but better since we had our own beds and indoor toilets. :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bathroom cleaning products I now get extra when I buy as it can be hard to get.

Cat litter. I have no idea why that's so limited. Then the morons buying 'clumping' cat litter to help with ice. Clumping litter + water = slick as snot clay. The regular cat litter is baked to make the clay firm.

Im just glad my cats prefer to go outside so don't use much.

I'll be getting more milk powder. I use canned milk in cooking but don't care for the taste for cereal or such. Milk has been a bit hard to get the last few days with all the highways closed, even if I-5 wasn't for a long time. I-90 is supposed to finally open this afternoon.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We recently discovered that our insurance company allowed nearly $200 EACH to DH and myself to buy OTC medical supplies. We stocked up on lots of basics. I have more alcohol, peroxide, Bandaids pain relievers, chapstick and eye drops than I'll use for awhile!
Yes, the hubster needs that OTC (from TSC) dewormer!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hi all! My hubby and I are thinking and trying to stock up on things. But we are total newbies! Any advice on good food products to stock up on? We did see Keystone canned meat products and they looked good, thoughts?

Thanks everyone! I guess I should have mentioned that I do garden and can my own produce, tomatoes, beans, carrots, jams. Have been doing that my whole life, from my great grandma on down. And I do have chickens for their eggs. I do want to get into meat chickens but I can't have more than 6 chickens in my town. We do stock up on toiletries and cleaning supplies. I will look into those other threads, thanks for the links!
You're hardly a newbie! You are better prepared than average! :welcome