Prepping/stocking supplies

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
looks good to me. :) flash lights, a few candles, propane fireplace and what i would probably now use is a new toy which replaces my old battery back up for the computer. since the new unit allows you to turn off the beeps it is tolerable to be used to run an LED light for hours at a time if needed. unplug all the extra stuff i wouldn't be using and it could go a few weeks.

i do have some old kerosene railroad lanterns and at least one of them works but i've not burned it in many years. fumes bother me more than it is worth. our last power outage a few weeks ago we mostly used the propane fireplace for light and keeping warm and warming up food and drinks. it was like camping but better since we had our own beds and indoor toilets. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can’t burn scented candles, they are poison to me. Don’t have any unscented ATM, need to get some. I do have a couple of Tac lights that give lots of light and one wind up LED light that takes no batteries.

Now that I’m moving, I dragged out my prepper buckets, ELEVEN of them! 25 pounds of oatmeal, rice I’m whittling down so I can refill. But used mostly to put in chicken leg quarters and rice canned for the dogs. Pinto beans, using them down, 12 years old and hard as rocks. I soak 24 hours, pre-cook and can them. Several buckets of wheat berries because they store longer than flour.
Sugar. And more.

I like the canning jars under the bed! LOL! I currently have a nice pantry, but not at new place. I have tons of jar lids, but are there ever enough? I started writing the year on the box so I can use the oldest first.

A new place will bring its own challenges and I’ll adapt. When I find Home, I’ll have a different set of challenges to adapt to.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The oils and hydraulic fluids for tractor....wow almost 50% increase! So I keep those and a few quarts for vehicles, mowers. I have oil changes done at those places on truck, car.

Prices have changed since COVID but, my storage supplies are same as always mostly. Besides emergencies, I plan for less income and more expens all winter. Heating, animal feeds, etc, cost more than open windows and pasture. My work drops by 80% in winter. ;) you plan ahead.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bathroom cleaning products I now get extra when I buy as it can be hard to get.

Cat litter. I have no idea why that's so limited. Then the morons buying 'clumping' cat litter to help with ice. Clumping litter + water = slick as snot clay. The regular cat litter is baked to make the clay firm.

Im just glad my cats prefer to go outside so don't use much.

I'll be getting more milk powder. I use canned milk in cooking but don't care for the taste for cereal or such. Milk has been a bit hard to get the last few days with all the highways closed, even if I-5 wasn't for a long time. I-90 is supposed to finally open this afternoon.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom did yell at me for forgetting a box on our last trip down. It's a bunch of old oil lamps. Some from my great grandparents.

No one else wanted them when my grandparents died so Dad took them. Parents are cleaning stuff out of the shed now 15 years on. We lose power enough that they would be useful. Not sure what types of oil they use or if it's kerosene.

Normally I use beeswax candles. Got a bunch of votives on sale once, plus a whole box of beeswax tealights.

I did make a makeshift olive oil lamp the first year here with a bowl, some foil to protect the rim, and a cottonball pulled and rolled into a wick.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom did yell at me for forgetting a box on our last trip down. It's a bunch of old oil lamps. Some from my great grandparents.

No one else wanted them when my grandparents died so Dad took them. Parents are cleaning stuff out of the shed now 15 years on. We lose power enough that they would be useful. Not sure what types of oil they use or if it's kerosene.

Normally I use beeswax candles. Got a bunch of votives on sale once, plus a whole box of beeswax tealights.

I did make a makeshift olive oil lamp the first year here with a bowl, some foil to protect the rim, and a cottonball pulled and rolled into a wick.
nice thing about olive oil lamps is that, if they fall down or get tipped over, the flame tends to extinguish, rather than start a fire like kerosene or other fuels do. Down side is the light is not as bright. I have olive oil lamps ready to use in bedrooms.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We still have oil lamp fuel from Y2K. Don't know if it's still good. We use candles if the power goes out. I would like to make an olive oil lamp.

Baking soda is a great cleaner to have excessive boxes of, and inexpensive. Also good in place of tooth paste.

Latest posts