Prepping/stocking supplies

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Be nice if they quit flood irritating almond trees in California. Hubby saw a lot of that happening around where he worked when he was sent down there.

Flood irritation wastes water. They quit doing that over in NE Oregon back in the 80s because of the waste. Almond trees are water hogs and shouldn't be grown there anyway. All the people who go on about how much water cows drink and then pour themselves some almond milk are hypocrites.

irrigation is the word i think you meant there. ;)

in some areas CA needs to recharge the acquifers and flooding areas to soak in is one way to do it. they are also doing experiments to see if such practices have a negative effect on almond trees, alfalfa and grapes (and perhaps others i've not heard about yet).

some years they have had extra water that they could not store in their reservoirs and so it makes sense to transport it to places where it can be soaked in instead of letting it all flow out to sea. they're working on building out what they need to accomplish this and also figuring out the best places for doing it.

not that during other times they shouldn't conserve water or use it more efficiently. compared to many areas the SW uses much less water than they used to per person and they'll keep improving as they bring various recycling plants on-line.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Phone and typos bad. Usually I catch them. I probably hit the wrong auto-suggest. Yes irrigating not irritating.

Hubby spent 3 years going down to Barstow. They never irrigated any other way on the almond orchards he passed.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My family has in-laws that reside in France and it’s starting to get real over there. Fortunately they are rather wealthy but they have begun to use an extra apartment they have as their store room and have been putting food and supplies in there. My sister was breaking down the dollars per euro conversion and she said that a liter of gas costs over $2 in France. They have been told that by winter they won’t have enough gas to warm their houses. Technically they do own both homes but they are referred to as apartments because of being connected to other dwellings and they aren’t allowed to install fireplaces or wood stoves in the city. I was trying to suggest kerosene cook stoves and looking into camping gear for emergency heating. I also learned that the family had just sold the grandparents country house. Not good. I understand they don’t live as I do but they might have had a place to retreat to all ready and could have shared a few chores with family. Sis suggested they get electric blankets. They have been trying for over two years to come to Louisiana but COVID messed things up or so I am told.
So is that coming here? I don’t know but sometimes I think we get warnings.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My family has in-laws that reside in France and it’s starting to get real over there. Fortunately they are rather wealthy but they have begun to use an extra apartment they have as their store room and have been putting food and supplies in there. My sister was breaking down the dollars per euro conversion and she said that a liter of gas costs over $2 in France. They have been told that by winter they won’t have enough gas to warm their houses. Technically they do own both homes but they are referred to as apartments because of being connected to other dwellings and they aren’t allowed to install fireplaces or wood stoves in the city. I was trying to suggest kerosene cook stoves and looking into camping gear for emergency heating. I also learned that the family had just sold the grandparents country house. Not good. I understand they don’t live as I do but they might have had a place to retreat to all ready and could have shared a few chores with family. Sis suggested they get electric blankets. They have been trying for over two years to come to Louisiana but COVID messed things up or so I am told.
So is that coming here? I don’t know but sometimes I think we get warnings.

gardening is a great way to help everyone have some extra food. some people say they don't have the time, but it doesn't take a huge area to grow something and every little bit helps.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can reduce the areas to heat comfortably sometimes. Using minimal to reduce freezing in other areas. I live in downstairs of my house, using basically no heat up there in winter, no AC in summer. Downstairs comfy. More clothes in winter with lower house temps by few degrees. I also have, electric, propane, kerosene types available to use.

Maybe your relatives have a plan.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I view firewood as currency. Cooking/staying warm. Someone wants some then we can trade. I am clearing my land now of forestry pines so that I can build my cabin/workshop. I will be splitting and stacking about 5 seasons worth for future use.

Attachments

• 7408A85D-B831-4174-BE65-835994886A28.jpeg
    7408A85D-B831-4174-BE65-835994886A28.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 102

Latest posts