Preppring for the new increase in various insurance...............

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
All my various insurances have now provided notice that they are increasing rates, one up 25% ,another up 17%, etc effective January. The state has raised fees for vehicle registrations and misc other things. Sales taxes already went up this year.
So my income, which is down, will have to cover more next year big time.
Due to the usual "unexpected" expenses this year, along with my much put off mattress purchase ( it is so old that it was old when I got it from my Mom's estate 1o years ago :) ) my bank account is down.

I want to be in a good position for the new year and have actually been living pretty much off my preps for two months now. I have only bought milk and a few veggies for two months. In fact I have been so little in town that I decided to start up the truck just to recharge the batteries- diesels have two ya know.

I really thought I would be desperate for a little variety but my decision earlier in the year to buy only what I like to eat rather than things that simply keep well or sound like it would be something I might want to try has proven to be a good idea. Before I found myself eating stuff I did not like in order not to waste it- made for a cranky prepper.

All my animal feed for months is in house along with soap and stuff like that too. Wood is stacked up for two years along with pellets for same. So far so good.

I know that this is just putting off purchases as I will have to replace the stuff later but it is nice to have the flexibility to pull back spending if I have to do it. Having supplies on hand is a good thing, even non-emergencies.

Now if I just can keep away from online book stores...................

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
they extended unemployment again.

when this runs out, the economy is going to tank again. we are in for bad economic times ahead. the ripple effect has not yet hit.

All prices go up while income does not---wow---that sure has happened many many times thru the centuries....yikes!

NC vehicles taxes did go up and my insurances went up a little. my animal feeds went up, my memberships to KOA and such went up, my garbage pickup went up a few bucks, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. It all went up! :( While everything goes up a few dollars---yes it gets harder and harder. I am debating which to maybe cancel. I love my garbage pickup but at some point, I might have to cancel it. A little luxury I wanted, but can I afford to keep it? maybe not? But I constantly play the dollar game. What is important to me I try to find a way...lol

I am tightening the belt even harder. No choice. No choice means no choice...LOL....and I am banking money anywhere I find a few dollars! (it is hard but I find a few!)

You are right ETR. Daily my mind is thinking about the economy a bit. Most people have that problem right now. And we will for a while! Right in the old wallet!!

You stay away from the online bookstores!! you hear!! :D

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
And so it begins. It's only going to get worse. It sounds good to 'tax the rich' but what they don't tell us is everything goes up - and then they'll go for more taxes from us, too. I have no hope the Senate will be saner.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I just cleaned out the shed and cleaned up a large old cooler I got from a neighbor so I have more storage for duck feed. I also cleaned out some large decorative baskets that we use for end tables so I have more room for dry goods. Now I just need some money...LOL

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, we don't have cable. don't get me wrong, I want cable, but it's just not on the top of my priority list. My mothers feels "so sorry for us, aren't you so bored??" She even suggested she buy directv for us for two years (since I swore I would not sign a contact, who knows where we'll be financially in two years) for Christmas. I just couldn't let her do that.

the move tv I have to watch, the more tv I watch!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I just cleaned out the shed and cleaned up a large old cooler I got from a neighbor so I have more storage for duck feed. I also cleaned out some large decorative baskets that we use for end tables so I have more room for dry goods. Now I just need some money...LOL
maybe thinking more of what you can grow to provide if the money or feed store is gone.

heck I don't do ducks....I don't what they will truly eat..LOL-LOL

so think more of what is "not to be bought" and more of what is free to feed these suckers.

I got tons of pasture. all my critters can eat hay and grass only if necessary. they will survive.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Here in California, starting this month, the government is "borrowing" 10% of every employee's paycheck to try and get us out of debt. For anyone who thinks that is a loan and not a confiscation, I have a bridge....

This "taxing only the rich" thing...not working out as advertised, is it? Class envy is a tool to tick off the regular guy in order to get votes, and then the regular guy pays the bill. Why don't people see that? It baffles me.

My goal is to find a way to pay my bills without having to pay taxes. No clue how that is going to happen, but it's my goal.

With the 2.5% mandatory "fee" that the president's health care bill will impose (can't call it a tax, because he promised not to tax the middle class, right?) and being in the 15% tax bracket, and with being self employed and having to pay both sides of Medicare and Social Security, my current monthly burden to the IRS is $375 on an income of less than $1800 a month. And $85 to the state. So, we up that by 10% to state and a minimum of 2.5% for health care, and somehow the campaign rhetoric rings hollow.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
maybe thinking more of what you can grow to provide if the money or feed store is gone.

heck I don't do ducks....I don't what they will truly eat..LOL-LOL

so think more of what is "not to be bought" and more of what is free to feed these suckers.
I am actually working on that. This Spring they will have some mini pasture in their duck pen. I have these wire cages I will plant clover and other forage in. I will just move the cages once the clover is a good size, then start a new patch.

I also have the pond now free of ducks. It used to be their play area but the hawks found us so now they have to play in a covered run. So without them in the pond, I am trying to get duck weed and water lettuce established.

It has been rough going since there was a security breach in the aviary. Shelley got out, found the duck weed and water lettuce and ate all the plants....3 times! LOL Of course we now have the fencing issue fixed (she was wiggling out through a gap in the fence hidden behind some grape vines. Took us for ever to figure out how she kept getting out!!!). I just have to go to the park AGAIN and get more starters.

Between that and kitchen scraps (and presents from the neighbors) along with some duck specific plants, that will got a long way towards providing their food. UNTIL I can grow more of their stuff though, I need to have feed on hand.

Here is my trouble maker...
1003656.jpg

VERY smart....for a duck :gig

I am looking forward to hatching out some of her eggs next year. She is such a nut :D