Prescription bottles

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am an heirloom gardener/propagator and I keep seeds from my veggies in them! they are perfect for the smaller seeds. My hubbies diabetes meds were huge and came in huge bottles and they hold my pole bean seeds just perfectly! All the little bottles with the lock tops don't spill if I drop the big tin popcorn container.(which you need cuz I found out the hard way that mice CAN and WILL chew thru Rubbermaid tubs and the bottles)

And Sylvie-you are right, just burn the cotton balls! If you don't have PJ use a cotton ball and squirt some of that hand sanitizer on it--that stuff burns!:ep

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In Canada we take them back to the Pharmacy and they clean and reuse them. Is that not happening in the US yet? We have only been doing it a year or maybe 2.

Have to take them back to the same Pharmacy (so they match stock) and be in good shape but they have a desktop cleaner/sterilizer and they recycle them right there. The new labels have a edge that has no adhesive so they peel off easier. Plain lids can be cleaned and reused too but the ones that have a space in them (the push and twist top type) can't be done.

I tried taking mine back the day I was asking for a refill, told them not to bother cleaning but they could not do that, against the rules. I had already washed them myself.

hankus

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Use them in my tackle box to organize hooks, sinkers, swivels, splitshot and other small things.

When hunting with my 22 I use one roughly the size of a 35mm film canister to hold loose shells. Just put them in the canister and pack a couple cotton balls, paper towels or piece of cloth on top so the don't rattle. I shoot a tube fed that holds several shells. This along with the bottle and I can carry about 3 loads. Plenty for a morning squirrel hunt.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
jellybeanme said:
Yes, a cotton ball soaked in vasoline will burn a long time. Long enough to get wet kindling burning. We use it when it's a cold day snowmobiling and we stop to warm up.
Also, we fish a lot. Those are great for storing fishing lures, and separating them and even putting in a backback for fishing. They also get used in the shop for nuts and bolts.
My grandfather used old peanut butter jars and stuff for nails and things, he'd nail or screw the lid up under a shelf, and then he would screw the bottle onto it, and unscrew the bottle if he needed a nail or screw.

I would imagine a few bottles handy in a sewing room for pins needles buttons, bows and ribbon etc...

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Store kitchen matches, along with a piece of fine sand paper and put it in your BOB.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We take ours to our doctor's office and one of the nurses recycles them to mission clinics. Check with local churches to see if they have such a program. We just make sure we remove the labels before we turn them in.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I cut the bottoms off and glue pretty decorations related to various holidays to them and they make nice napkin rings!

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I'm new and am reading all I can :D.

I read somewhere to re-use baby food jars this way, and I'm betting the prescription bottles would work too: if you have a wooden workbench, turn it over, and on the bottom of the work surface near the edges, screw a lid onto the table (non-child-safe side away from the wood), then reattach the bottle. When you set the table upright, you have handy tiny storage compartments to sort screws, nails, bolts, washers, etc. - just reach under, unscrew, and set the bottle on your work surface when you need it.

I actually did this on the bottom of a shelf in my daughter's room, intending for her to store hairpins, barrettes, earrings, etc. She found lots of tiny things she wanted to store!

KelpticFest

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
We also use them to store tampons soaked in attractant and then hang the tampons in a tree nearby
I sure hope you take them back home with you when you go. Hell of a decorative note in the forest ....