Pressure Canner on Glass Flat Stove Top

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I heard that Glass flat stove tops can explode with long Pressure canning.
Has anyone heard of this?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have not heard that they will explode but I have heard that they will break under the weight. I don't have a glass top so I don't know exactly what happens but just what I have read on other post. I would suggest you read your manual that came with your stove or call the manufacturer.
Or better yet since it can be a problem just use a propane burner outside for canning.
We have an old gas stove that can take a very heavy canner but during the summer it heats the house up something horrible. So we use either the propane burner (fish cooker) or either the propane burner on the side of our grill.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We just traded off our glass top stove last year, BEFORE it broke. We went to a propane stove and we LOVE it!! :love

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I use 3 types of canners on my glass top without problem. Perhaps it makes a difference when the stove was manufactured--mine was in 2003. It would seem that the water bath would be the bigger issue with its heavy weight, at least more of an issue than the pressure canner anyway. Good luck!

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our glass top won't work with a canner because the sensor keeps turning it down -- I think because the pot is considered too big a diameter. I wish I'd known this before we bought it. If we ever have to replace it, I don't think we'll be getting glass again.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I got my glass top stove in 2002 and use two Presto 23 quart canners on it at the same time with no problems. Usually with 20 pints each in them.

I would LOOOOOVE to use propane, though. The electric stove needs constant fiddling to keep the pressure exactly right. But no cracked top yet. The canners I bought say, right on the box, that they can be used on flat-top stoves. I figure Presto will owe me a new stove if it breaks!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We use pressure canner and water bath on a glass top stove, but I know there are warnings about doing so can cause a break. We did give up using the cast iron skillets on it.

I really don't like the glass stove top at all. I find it hard to regulate the heat. I would LOVE to have a gas stove. But while this one is working and in good order, I guess I'm stuck with it.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought the house I'm in because of the stove. Its a 4 burner propane countertop stove. I grew up using one very similar. I :love it.

My MIL uses her pressure cooker (not a huge canner, maybe 12qt?) on her glass top stove & it works fine. She only ever had to worry about scratching it when she cleaned it.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice!!

Last night I did some jelly with water bath method and my stove held up, you are right taht it is very hard to regulate the temp.

I wish I had thought about this BEFORE going electric! We just moved and I had a gas stove and LOVED it. We found this stove at a garage sale and it is a double oven with a flat glass stove top. I have REALLY loved it up until now...SO the advice about getting an outside propane burning is Fantastic! :clap

I usually wait until it is getting colder outside to do my canning just for the reason that it extremely heats up the house, but the outside propane burner with fix that issue too!! Love it!

I love my sufficientself family - You guys are ALL GREAT!! :love

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
With a propane burner outside does it make it hard to regulate the temp in the pot with the wind and weather factors?

Does it take longer to heat up the water?

What propane burners do you suggest? There are a ton of them out there!!