Pressure Canner on Glass Flat Stove Top

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
VERY interesting thread, and the timing is right for me, because I'm about to buy a pressure canner. I happen to like a glass top, because I can clean it so easily. I also have a gas grill, so I'm confused. I know that when I cook other things on my stove for a long period of time I turn down the heat a little, since a rolling boil isn't necessary to cook alot of things. What is it that would cause the glass top to crack? Is there a pressure canner that will not do this? Please give me your experiences. Thanks! :hugs

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My understanding is that it is not just the weight, but also the shape of the bottom of the pan.

Walmart carries a smaller Presto pressure canner for about $70, I think. It can do 7 quarts or 10 pints at a time. If I can use the bigger ones, the smaller ones should be uber-safe!

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is GREAT to hear, freemotion. I really want one, but I don't want to buy a new stove! And, as anybody who cans knows, when you factor in the prep time, SOMETIMES, it's much easier to can only about 8 jars at a time, 'cause it kinda wears you out! Sooo...a smaller one would do ME fine.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
ABHanna4d said:
With a propane burner outside does it make it hard to regulate the temp in the pot with the wind and weather factors?

Does it take longer to heat up the water?

What propane burners do you suggest? There are a ton of them out there!!
I don't have a problem with wind because #1 My grill is on my side porch and shielded - so when I use the burner on the grill there is no wind issue. #2 - The other propane burner I have is, I think homemade and was orginally used as a fish cooker burner. When I use it, I set it up on the front porch with a homemade shield of lawn chairs and bed sheets or plywood or whatever, on 2 sides if there is any wind, with the house itself as the 3rd side. Normally I don't have to use a shield. If its that windy I just don't can. LOL

Just make sure that you have something under the burner and canner if you have a wood porch. You want to be safe and you don't want lots of stains. I use one of those cheap heater shields.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
YIKES! Our previous stove went out earlier this year(had convection oven and was great for drying) and DH brought home a new glass top. About the only thing I have really liked about this new glass top is the different sized and number of burners. In the back are 3 small burners all the same size, 2 are regular and 1 is a warmer. In front it has a small burner inside of large burner, and the other side is a large burner within a very large burner, all different sizes. All together has 7 burners, but can only use 5 at one time. I thought the very large burner a great thing since I use a water bath canner and the burner fits the bottom of the canner better than regular coil burners.
Now I'm not so sure I like this stove at all if there is danger of breaking from canners and the temperature flucuations.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the same top of stove as you, with the warmer in the middle back between the other two regular burners. You know, I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy myself a small pressure canner, anyway, and I'll tell you why: I have been canning and cooking holiday meals on this stove for several years, and I've had ALL burners going for literally hours to finish these tasks. Despite the 2 small chips (probably from DD's not being careful), and ALL of the constant heat, the glass top hasn't cracked. I have two canners, an old, heavy, aluminum 4-jar (from grandparents stash), and a new, spatterware, 7-jar. YOU KNOW when you're canning you keep the stove going until you're done. I sometimes, leave the last jars in the canners overnight to cool, IF the canning job has worn me out. I'll bet that there isn't any more heat produced by a pressure canner. But, I'm guessing that anybody's glass top that cracked had to do with an extreme temperature difference--very cold water put into a canner and placed on top of a very hot glass stovetop--rather than the pressure canner, itself.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a 22qt mirro pressure canner and use it on my glass top with no problems... I just got done canning 16pts of chicken and broth and I plan to do 16pts of pumpkin tomorrow... I've had it for 2 years now with no issues... I also waterbath can on it as well in a 18qt stock pot filled with with jars and water...

Latest posts