Pressure Canner'????

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions....

Does it matter if you use one with a seal or one that is metal on metal? The reason I am asking is because I asked for on for Christmas. I really wanted an All American , with metal to metal. I know I should not complain but, I got the Presto with the seal. Is it hard to use??? Can anyone tell me how well there's works? I don't want to blow anything up. :D

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have several Mirros. They have the seals and I have not had any trouble with them unless the seal is bad. Then the seal leaked moisture when building pressure (right away) and I just shut it down and switched pressure canners.

teresainNC

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My canner and pressure cooker are both Prestos and they work very well. This manufacturer has been in business for many years - like 60 or more? And the rubber gaskets (guess that is what you are calling the seal?) are available widely and on their web site. No problem getting a new gasket when you need one down the road.

Some recommend that you take the gasket off the lid when not in use and to rub a little cooking oil on the gasket to help keep it from drying out. Do not store the canner with the lid locked on. Store the lid turned upside down on the top of the canner instead.

Canning is a very satisfying project toward self sufficiency!
Teresa

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never even heard of a canner with metal on metal. We have Mirros and Presto. We actually have three of them. The gaskets are kinda expensive to replace, but they last a long time when you take care of them.

You should also note that a pressure canner and pressure cooker are not the same thing. A canner is for canning only, and a cooker for cooking only.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I have a couple of questions....

Does it matter if you use one with a seal or one that is metal on metal? The reason I am asking is because I asked for on for Christmas. I really wanted an All American , with metal to metal. I know I should not complain but, I got the Presto with the seal. Is it hard to use??? Can anyone tell me how well there's works? I don't want to blow anything up. :D
I second mrs.puff, I have never heard of metal on metal, hmm, have to go look.
Presto has a website, you should check it out.
It wont be hard to use.
Good luck and let us know what you find out. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks to you all. Yes it is a pressure canner so I will be sure to store it properly and mind the seal. The canner without the gasket was called an All American and I saw them on
e bay. I really don't care what kind I have, just as long as it does the job. I have big plans for the veggie garden this spring and hope to can some of it.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about pressure canner/cookers except that we have a Mirror and it has a gasket. It seems to me that to get a good seal on one that is metal to metal (no gasket) the contact surface would have to be perfectly smooth and fit together otherwise it wouldn't seal.

Just saw a web site. I guess they work.

AHappyChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have been wanting one for a while but have not yet decided on one. in the meantime I either preserve using hot bath or by freezing and that has worked out well for me so far.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I spent some time reading the direction last night. Yes, us women read directions.:D It seems to be fairly straight forward there are maintenance procedures recommended. They actually say to grease gasket and replace every three years. They suggest a trial run to check all parts with only water. Sounds like a good idea to me. The only thing I was unsure about was the BTU capacity on my stove. They have a recommended limit, I guess so it does not overheat. I will need to figure out which burner is best.

I will give it a go when I have some spare time. Pressure canning is at the bottom of the to do list right now. I am still trying to dig my way out of the Christmas mess. lol g

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I got a pressure canner last summer and I love it. Still learning but it is very satisfying to be able to put up food!