Pressure Canner'????

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Bee, without the pressure canner? DId you use a water bath for the deer meet and if so how long did you boil it for?
Same as with the pressure canner~90 minutes. Yes boiling water bath only. I know that people will immediately post that it is dangerous and not to try it, but it worked for me and I really like the texture and freshness of the meat compared to pressure canning. I also canned chicken the same way and it is so tastey as well!

I was told about this alternative by an old Mennonite lady, with whom I barter veggies and eggs( I give her eggs and she gives me taters and pawpaws!), and she explained that her family has never used pressure canners. And neither had her ancestors. Well, being me~I had to try it! I have a very open mind to new things if they make sense! :lol: And this made alot of sense to me....I'll never use pressure canning again! :)

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
TanksHill said:
Bee, without the pressure canner? DId you use a water bath for the deer meet and if so how long did you boil it for?
Same as with the pressure canner~90 minutes. Yes boiling water bath only. I know that people will immediately post that it is dangerous and not to try it, but it worked for me and I really like the texture and freshness of the meat compared to pressure canning. I also canned chicken the same way and it is so tastey as well!

I was told about this alternative by an old Mennonite lady, with whom I barter veggies and eggs( I give her eggs and she gives me taters and pawpaws!), and she explained that her family has never used pressure canners. And neither had her ancestors. Well, being me~I had to try it! I have a very open mind to new things if they make sense! :lol: And this made alot of sense to me....I'll never use pressure canning again! :)
You're right Beekissed in that some would say it's not safe and according to the newest guidelines it's not recommended at all. I do use a pressure canner but, know people who do the waterbath for their meats and have no problem. A person just needs to decide on what they are comfortable with.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
TanksHill said:

Do they have a Mennonite cookbook with these type of recipes or is it by memory only??? I am sure she is on track, canning was around long before pressure cookers.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an All American 930 (read BIG pressure canner) which is a metal to metal. I adore this baby and use it all year round for canning soups, sauces and of course the fall harvest. Mom and Grandma used just the water bath canner and none of us ever died but I feel safer using my pressure canner.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Nah, Tanks! Just can it like your ordinarily would any kind of meat, except you use the boiling water bath instead of the P-canner. A person can come up with anything they like in their meats, really. Some people put a beef boullion cube in each jar or a tsp. of salt, etc. I used a little salt, but next year I would like to use some of my homegrown garlic and herbs, especially for the chicken.

Takes all the guess work out of the pressure guage, etc. for me.

I'm pretty comfortable with taking risks, always looking for a better way that makes more sense to me.....not necessarily to others, but to me~which, in the end, is all that really matters! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Some people put a beef boullion cube in each jar or a tsp. of salt, etc. I used a little salt, but next year I would like to use some of my homegrown garlic and herbs, especially for the chicken.
Ugh! Why can if you are gonna put MSG and preservatives into it? Homegrown herbs, baby, all the way!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, my thinking exactly!! My homegrown foods and meats need no additives to make them more palatable, so anything other than herbs, salt, pepper, onion or garlic are not in my vocabulary!!