Pressure canners.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
No extra water. Just 3 qts. of hot water and 2 T. vinegar. If I got it boiling first, it would probably go faster. As to elevation-- I started canning at 6000 feet in Silver City, NM and then canned at close to sea level in AZ. I changed the weights per the instructions for elevation but that is all.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
For those of you who have to wait a long time, are you heating the water in the canner to almost boiling before adding the hot jars?

I find I only have to wait about 5-10 minutes for the steam to start coming out in a steady stream because I do it that way, then I vent for the required 10 minutes, pop the weight on, and we're usually rocking within another 5 minutes or so. Set the timer once we're rocking and turn it down two notches, and then it's hurry up and wait till the processing is done. But I have a 12-year-old glass top stove (Whirlpool) so maybe gas is different?
I find that the other preparations take up a lot of time, so if I start the canner on the biggest burner (I also have a ceramic-top stove) before I begin other preparations, it's ready before I need it. The whole procedure usually takes me 2 hours, so I try not to start after 10. And sometimes there's lots more prep time before that---like all summer, to grow the beans!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
My stove is propane. I've used a pressure cooker for years but I've had problems with it too since moving here 5yrs ago. We went from about 300 ft to 4500ft elevation. Does elevation affect the heat of a propane flame?
terri9630 said:
moolie said:
For those of you who have to wait a long time, are you heating the water in the canner to almost boiling before adding the hot jars?

I find I only have to wait about 5-10 minutes for the steam to start coming out in a steady stream because I do it that way, then I vent for the required 10 minutes, pop the weight on, and we're usually rocking within another 5 minutes or so. Set the timer once we're rocking and turn it down two notches, and then it's hurry up and wait till the processing is done. But I have a 12-year-old glass top stove (Whirlpool) so maybe gas is different?
Yes it was boiling.
Huh, no idea on the propane flame, but I know that elevation/air pressure affects boiling temp (thus why those of us at higher altitude need to process at a higher pressure to compensate) so that may have something to do with it.

I live at 3500' and have to process at 12lbs (really 15lbs because I have a rocker weight rather than a dial) and I have to add 10 minutes to all my water bath canning times compared to my Mom who lives just above sea level.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
moolie said:

I find that the other preparations take up a lot of time, so if I start the canner on the biggest burner (I also have a ceramic-top stove) before I begin other preparations, it's ready before I need it. The whole procedure usually takes me 2 hours, so I try not to start after 10. And sometimes there's lots more prep time before that---like all summer, to grow the beans!
I start the canner on the burner once I've prepped everything but before I heat the food up and put it into the jars--with the lid on but not locked it seems to come to the boil quite quickly, then I add the hot jars and we're off and running!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
snapshot said:
No extra water. Just 3 qts. of hot water and 2 T. vinegar. If I got it boiling first, it would probably go faster. As to elevation-- I started canning at 6000 feet in Silver City, NM and then canned at close to sea level in AZ. I changed the weights per the instructions for elevation but that is all.
I'm in Deming. Just down the hill and around the corner from Silver. What size canner do you use?

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Wish I'd known that when I was out there. We went to Deming a few times (and on the way to anywhere else). Anyway, I have the 16 qt. Presto I got from Walmart. I am considering getting the 23 qt soon so I can do more at once and not 2 seperate runs. Of course once I have it I will probably prep more food and still have two runs!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Wish I'd known that when I was out there. We went to Deming a few times (and on the way to anywhere else). Anyway, I have the 16 qt. Presto I got from Walmart. I am considering getting the 23 qt soon so I can do more at once and not 2 seperate runs. Of course once I have it I will probably prep more food and still have two runs!
It would have been nice to have someone that could actually show me what to do. I have the Mirro 20 something quart. I'll have to look when I get home.

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My hubby just bought me a pressure canner and Im SO nervous to try...even more so now. It sounds complicated! I have no one to show me the ropes wither. Sigh.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
The first time I used mine I kept the manual with directions right beside me the whole time. I think there was a # I could call for questions. It took a lot longer to get the steam vented than I thought it should!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just went through this. Call your county extension office and ask them if they are going to have any canning classes. My local at Agent had me bring my pressure canner in and showed me how it worked. We canned some carrots, no one in my family likes cooked carrots.:rolleyes: Ah well, she supplied the jars and carrots so I left them with her but it was a great lesson.

I also found out that my Dr., Dentist and the bosses wife all can and told me to call if I needed help.