Pressure canners

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I found a couple steam canners online. I bet freecycle and other similar organizations would have canners to offer, unless everybody and their brother is getting into it now with this economy...

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'd give you mine if you lived closer! I won't be needing it! :D ;)
Why not?? If you want I'll take it and pay shipping!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Shoot! A pressure canner and a pressure cooker can't be used interchangeably? The woman I bought my pressure cooker from ('old timer') said it could.

It was brand new though, so maybe I shouldn't have believed her as she had obviously never used it. Good thing I hadn't tried yet!

Darn it! Anyone near Omaha NE want to buy an unused pressure COOKER?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Most pressure cookers aren't big enough to hold the jars correctly.

I was using a OLD cooker that was borrowed from my mother in law. Finally I bit the bullet and bought a spanking new ALL AMERICAN. The Ancient One was the same brand and still worked great. I have used others - I would only buy the ALL AMERICAN. They cost a bundle, but they will save you even more in the long term.

dzook

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We bought our All American on Ebay also. We use this and our steam canner pretty much year round. The county extension is a wonderful place to get a lot of information about canning. If you buy a used pressure canner they will test the lid of it to make sure that it is getting correct pressure.
We're now planting our garden. Soon we'll be canning almost every day!!!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can any one tell me where I can get a rack that allows me to can a double layer of pint jars in my pressure canner. I have a Mirro Canner that is about 24 inches tall. I saw, in another thread a while ago, where someone had one of these racks. I have never seen one. I think anything that will drastically reduce my time and the fuel costs is a good thing! :thumbsup

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would contact Mirro. Be sure your model is designed for double rows of jars as well. They need to have sufficient head space around the jar to ensure the temperature gets to the correct levels.

Good luck!

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my goals this summer is to learn how to can. We have a garden so I want to try canning some of the stuff out of the garden this summer. I have no experience with canning so I have a lot of research to do in the meantime. I would like to buy a new pressure canner with a good instruction manual. In addition, I would like to purchase something safe, durable, and easy to operate. I am wanting to make the investment and get the best that I can afford, and I saw where a couple people mentioned the All American brand. I was looking on Amazon at the different sizes and models. For someone just starting out, can anyone recommend what is the best (All American) size to purchase? I would only be canning for two people. I have a standard electric stove with two large and two small burners.

PS-Thanks for all the helpful information in this thread.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If I was going to buy a new pressure canner I would buy the All American 921.

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamerican921pressurecanner.htm

I know this looks like a bigger size, but since it will can two layers of pint jars - 19 pints at a time - it will actually be MORE useful for feeding fewer people.

Like I mentioned above I usually buy and can in pint jars these days for hubby and I. There is less waste that way. Also you can always can fewer jars in a bigger canner - but it is impossible to can more jars in a smaller canner!

The larger canner allows you to run one batch and be finished. I know this is an expensive canner - but WELL worth the money.

If I was just starting out I would also try to buy ALL my jars with the same lid size. I much prefer wide mouth jars for most uses. If ALL your jars - jellies, pints, quarts etc were wide mouth (or regular your choice) you would only need to buy one size lid. Then you could really stock up on your certain size!

As it is with my "collection" I need to keep both wide mouth and regular on hand. Following Murphey's Law I always run out of the size I need and end up having to go to the store, while I have a ton of the other size still at home!:/