Pressure canners

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Farmfresh for that information. That was very helpful.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone know how tall the 2 quart canning jars are? I am thinking that I might like to use some of them and I'm looking for a canner and I want to be sure to purchase a canner tall enough for them.

Thanks.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The half gallon jars are 9 1/4 inches tall.

I never use that size to can in however, the processing time gets really long for such large jars. I use them to store dehydrated foods. Onion flakes, mushrooms, dried fruit and noodles are great to store in a big jar like that.

I also use this size jar for sprouting oats for my chickens. :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Does anyone know how tall the 2 quart canning jars are? I am thinking that I might like to use some of them and I'm looking for a canner and I want to be sure to purchase a canner tall enough for them.

Thanks.
I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere I read that it is no longer recommended that 2 quart jars be used for canning - takes too long to get the contents sufficiently hot. I'm not sure I would want to overcook the contents to the extent necessary. Like Farmfresh I use them for dry food storage.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll stay away from the big jars. They might be good to make pickles with though.

I ordered my canner today from ebay thanks to the advice on this forum.
I got an All American, the 25 quart. I'm glad I checked here. I think it is probably the best and my great grand kids will use it...if they are inclined.:)

I looked around half the night from site to site. Ebay was cheaper cause over all best price then no tax as required by some websites. Also cheaper shipping.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finally got around to ordering a pressure canner the other day. I decided on the All American brand (21 quart model). It should arrive sometime this week. I suppose it will take me awhile to learn how to use it; then I will be able to post in the thread called "What are you canning today" (that is assuming that I don't blow a hole in the ceiling of my kitchen or something like that). I do know of a person that was injured from a pressure canner. The lid blew off and hit him in the forehead. His injury was pretty bad so I do have some fear to overcome as well. We'll see how it goes, but I am up for the challenge. I think...
:hide

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You will find you All American has multiple safety features. An easily visible needled pressure gauge, a pressure releasing "jiggle" valve, AND a pressure plug that will pop to release pressure BEFORE the whole pot explodes!

Safety things NOT on my grandmas canner. Just stay nearby and pay attention to your pot when you can. Remember a watched pot may not boil... but a watched canner NEVER blows!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
The half gallon jars are 9 1/4 inches tall.

I never use that size to can in however, the processing time gets really long for such large jars. I use them to store dehydrated foods. Onion flakes, mushrooms, dried fruit and noodles are great to store in a big jar like that.

I also use this size jar for sprouting oats for my chickens. :lol:
I would love to know how to sprout oats for my chickens if you care to share???

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes indeed!

First I get a half gallon size canning jar, a piece of screen wire cut the same size as a lid and the jar ring. This is about all of the equipment that you will need.

I just purchased a 50 pound bag of whole feed oats from my local feed store. These will sprout "crimped" or "rolled" oats will not.

Take about 1/4 cup of oats and place them in the jar. Add the screen and the ring top.

Then fill the jar with warm water and swish. I let the warm water sit on the oats for a couple of hours - then pour it out. I rinse them and pour out the warm water a couple of extra times ... then I lay the jar on it's side and leave it alone.

I keep my sprout jar on the kitchen cabinet near the sink, so I won't forget about it.

Each morning (when I am filling the dog's water bowl) I fill the jar with water (warm or cool is OK) then gently pour it out and return the jar to its place on it's side.

Each evening (when I am making dinner) I fill the jar with water (warm or cool is OK) then gently pour it out and return the jar to its place on it's side.

In a few days roots start to sprout and the whole thing kind of starts matting together. When the sprouts start to green up some I pull them carefully out of the jar and stick them in a plastic ware container and place in the window. I do this since I am after a little more greenery for my chickens. Then I start a new batch in the jar.

Each batch takes about a week. If I feed a little every day I can keep my four hens in greens all winter. If I had more hens I would probably do a jar for each day of the week.

Easy!