Pressure cooker operation

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I rewash my jars and then put them in a roaster full of water on the stove top and bring them to a boil. I take them directly out of the boiling water to fill them. Then I scald the lids and rings by giving them a short dip into the boiling water and put on the lids.

This way my jars and lids are sterile before processing. I figure the less bacteria that is inside of the jar to start with the less that needs killed in the canning process. ;)
I was told and read to never reuse the lids - but you do? any problems? I'm with SKR8PN and won't risk my life for 10 cents. Then again I'm new at this and am too scared to eat any of the canned meats and go to mcdonald's instead.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I used to can only jams and such I reused my flats because I didn't really know better. I also used the inversion method for my jam. :sick I am surprised I didn't kill my family. Now I have managed to collect so many flats I don't have a problem throwing them out.

At the end of canning season last year I bought about 36 boxes of small and wide mouth for I think 50cents a box.

Those jar prices are really good for new. I usually only buy used off CL now. So I have not bought jars in a while.

g

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
At the end of canning season last year I bought about 36 boxes of small and wide mouth for I think 50cents a box.

Those jar prices are really good for new. I usually only buy used off CL now. So I have not bought jars in a while. g
I find Walmart and Kroger's to be over priced on the exact items Save a Lot and Fred's has in jars and lids. CL has no can, jars, bottles or lids around these parts - 500,000 free cats though. Coming soon to an eBay store near you " Kanned Kitty Kuarts", order your KKK at Kat Knip Knummy today. Free shipping on Greyhound bus lines.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
xpc said:
Farmfresh said:
I rewash my jars and then put them in a roaster full of water on the stove top and bring them to a boil. I take them directly out of the boiling water to fill them. Then I scald the lids and rings by giving them a short dip into the boiling water and put on the lids.

This way my jars and lids are sterile before processing. I figure the less bacteria that is inside of the jar to start with the less that needs killed in the canning process. ;)
I was told and read to never reuse the lids - but you do? any problems? I'm with SKR8PN and won't risk my life for 10 cents. Then again I'm new at this and am too scared to eat any of the canned meats and go to mcdonald's instead.
No I don't reuse lids, but I scald even the new ones.

As for the salt question earlier... stick around here a while with all of the fermenting and such going on and you will be buying that canning salt by the 5 pound bags and wondering why you are always out. :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm hijacking just a little

FF - you mentioned a light syrup - care to give the ratios? this is for the peaches (again with the peaches!) .... if i just cut them up, treat with fruit fresh, put in jars (accountin for all the sterilization), then pour the syrup in.... then water bath.. right??

can i pressure can them or will that make them fall apart???

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
What I have been using from a site that someone else posted earlier is:

Syrup Sugar Water Yield
Light 2 cups 6 cups 7 cups
Medium 3 cups 6 cups 6 1/2 cups
Heavy 4 cups 6 cups 7 cups

from-
http://www.pickyourown.org/peachescanning.htm

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
No I don't reuse lids, but I scald even the new ones.

As for the salt question earlier... stick around here a while with all of the fermenting and such going on and you will be buying that canning salt by the 5 pound bags and wondering why you are always out. :)
Sorry forgot about my previous questions thought you were responding to the lid one. I simmer my lids for about 10 minutes or so, just hot enough to make sure my fingers weld to it.

And by the way the only salt I use in fermenting is Epson's, magnesium good sodium bad.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ok thanks xpc.. this whole thing is so darn stressful! yikes!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Straight from Grandma Nettie's old (1940's) Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook:

Syrups for Fruit

Thin 2 cups sugar - 4 cups water = 5 cups - use for pineapple
Medium 3 cups sugar - 4 cups water = 5 1/2 C -apples, apricots, sweet cherries, all berries, grapes, rhubarb, pears and peaches
Heavy 4 3/4 c sugar - 4 cups water = 6 1/2 C - gooseberries, blackberries, currants, plums, currants
Very Heavy 7 cups sugar - 4 cups water = 7 3/4 C - sour cherries

I love this old book.