Pressure cooker operation

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Your first pressure canning experience sure sounds a lot more "interesting" than mine ;)

I read the instructions and then followed them, even though SO did not like it that I turned the heat on high :rolleyes: and then poured myself a glass of wine, while I watched the pressure gage rise. :p

My first pressure canning subject was one of our own homegrown and butchered chickens. I canned chicken soup. It took me a day and 1/2 to get the gumption up to do it!
I also wore a shirt and an apron :D

It sure feels good to get it done. Now I look forward to canning all sorts of stuff. Especially more produce from the garden, that I couldn't can before, like green beans and corn.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Only one of the meat seals failed (not shown as it was 8) the low level in the remaining ones was because the manual said to leave 1-1/2" head space, but yes did pull them far too early - they made a heck of a racket too. The beef was cold packed raw and was told not to add any liquid as it would make its own, so what you see in the photo is what was in the meat.

My second run with the fruit I removed from heat and waited until the pressure dropped to 0 which took 20 minutes then let sit for a full hour before removing the lid - all seems fine with those.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Your first pressure canning experience sure sounds a lot more "interesting" than mine ;)
Not knowing if you're gonna live though it always makes it more interesting.

I read the instructions and then followed them, even though SO did not like it that I turned the heat on high :rolleyes: and then poured myself a glass of wine, while I watched the pressure gage rise. :p
A person on the forum who will remain nameless and initials rhyme with SKR(ate)PN threatened me with the cancellation of my "Man" card if I ever dared to read another manual.

My first pressure canning subject was one of our own homegrown and butchered chickens. I canned chicken soup. It took me a day and 1/2 to get the gumption up to do it! I also wore a shirt and an apron :D
My first canning was with boneless chicken thighs which I never dreamt was possible, the ingenuity of mankind seems to have no bounds.

It sure feels good to get it done. Now I look forward to canning all sorts of stuff. Especially more produce from the garden, that I couldn't can before, like green beans and corn.
I think I will try french fries next

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I modified both of our pressure canners last summer, but I did the exact opposite of what you did. Both of our canners came WITH gauges, so I bought the adjustable wobblers like you have and use those to help maintain the 10psia that is required. I simply use the gauges as a backup,double-check, anti-explosion system.
I do not have the comfort and security of a diving helmet to fall back on.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I really fail to understand why more canners don't come with both to start with.

I did pay a small fortune for my All American, but it came factory fresh with both a gauge AND a wobbler. No drill or diving helmets necessary. ;)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
xpc said:
FarmerDenise said:
Not knowing if you're gonna live though it always makes it more interesting.

A person on the forum who will remain nameless and initials rhyme with SKR(ate)PN threatened me with the cancellation of my "Man" card if I ever dared to read another manual.

My first pressure canning subject was one of our own homegrown and butchered chickens. I canned chicken soup. It took me a day and 1/2 to get the gumption up to do it! I also wore a shirt and an apron :D
My first canning was with boneless chicken thighs which I never dreamt was possible, the ingenuity of mankind seems to have no bounds.

I think I will try french fries next
:lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
More questions for the inept:

I just finished canning 3 pints of chicken breast and 3 pints of lean ground chuck, found out it takes a pound to fill a single jar with either of them. This time I did not fill the hot pack with the fatty parboil water but rather with untainted simmering chicken broth - store bought (3)14oz cans.

When I bought the 4 dozen jars I ran them through the dishwasher and stored in a box without the lids, when needed I just filled with hot soapy water and let sit until ready to fill. Does that sound ok to y'all?

Why did I pay 1000% more for canning salt, I know it doesn't have the bad additives in it but what will I use it for?

I ended up with 6 breasts all over 8oz that were parboiled and not canned, will freezing them be a bad thing? as in frost burning or cell rupturing. These were fresh and never frozen, maybe I should vacuum seal them rather than using Tupperware.

My dogs hate it when I "can" as it makes the kitchen smell good but results in no immediate food.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I NEVER re-use my lids. $0.02
I figure they are cheap insurance.........
I think you meant $0.20 each and not 24 cents a dozen.

I just bought a bunch of standard size for $1 a dozen ($0.084) and also a few dozen of pints and quarts for $6.99 & $7.99 are those good prices? what do others pay? flea market and otherwise need not apply - new in store only please.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I rewash my jars and then put them in a roaster full of water on the stove top and bring them to a boil. I take them directly out of the boiling water to fill them. Then I scald the lids and rings by giving them a short dip into the boiling water and put on the lids.

This way my jars and lids are sterile before processing. I figure the less bacteria that is inside of the jar to start with the less that needs killed in the canning process. ;)