Problem with my sister's pug/english bull dog mix "nephew" - UPDATE

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My sister just called. Her boyfriend was ready to call 911 yesterday for his mom because she is so distraught causing her to have seizures.

Yesterday morning her pug/english bulldog mix was sleeping in the closet, which he never does. He normally sleeps in the bed with her. He was having problems walking, dragging his rear legs. He is now lame. He doesn't want to eat and normally he is a chow hound. He was taken to the vet and he suspects some kind of swelling in the spine near tail bone. The boyfriend believes the vet gave possibly a cortizone shot, but he is not sure. The vet mentioned something about this being common in pugs and only about 2 out of 10 recover. He suggested that an MRI be done.

I got this information from my sister who was relaying information that she was getting from her boyfriend. Anyone familiar with these symptoms in a pug or english bull dog. Any recommendations??

eta: he is 4 - 5 years old

Thanks for any information.

Annette

Herbie was put to sleep yesterday.

Okie Amazon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is not an uncommon thing, much more common in Dachsunds than Pugs, but.... More likely than not, he injured himself jumping on/off the couch, something like that. The main thing is rest, rest, rest preferably in a crate. NO JUMPING!!!!!!! NO STAIRS!!!!

Probably the vet did a steroid injection to take down swelling and inflammation. Alternating cold/hot packs on the lower spine can help, too. At this young age, I would hope for a full recovery. An MRI would only tell you whether a disc space is narrowed or if there is a fracture (unlikely), it isn't going to fix anything. You would be out the expense and still faced with the same question - surgery or conservative treatment. So... I would go with conservative and if no improvement after a couple of weeks, THEN discuss whether surgical intervention is affordable or even an option. Getting him on some MSM/glucosamine/chondroitin cannot hurt either.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've had two pugs and it's not something I've heard of before either. I agree rest is important. Hope he gets better soon!

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
is he a kinda long dog with short legs? they do tend to get the spinal injuries, like mentioned above, even from simple things like jumping on/off beds couches or going down stairs =/

a former friend of mine's doxie was injured like this, he required surgery but then made a full recovery. if this vet seems to be offering a poor prognosis, you could always go get a second opinion elsewhere to try to confirm/deny.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
is he a kinda long dog with short legs? they do tend to get the spinal injuries, like mentioned above, even from simple things like jumping on/off beds couches or going down stairs =/

a former friend of mine's doxie was injured like this, he required surgery but then made a full recovery. if this vet seems to be offering a poor prognosis, you could always go get a second opinion elsewhere to try to confirm/deny.
I have never met the dog. Most pugs I have met have been little butterballs. I am not sure what english bull dogs look like.

I am just getting as much info for my sister asap. Boyfriend's mother sounds like she may die of worry over her pup. I actually tried to get a hold of my sil since she is a vet (travelling) but cannot get a hold of her. I have already sent her an email regarding all the symptoms and also asked her opinion of the clinic the dog was seen at.

Thanks

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my grandma had a pug and he jumped off the coffee table and broke his back instantly vet said to put him down

good luck i hope the pooch recovers but hers always had issues with his back.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had a pug & never heard of this either. I sure hope he recovers, poor thing!!! :fl

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gallina Vecchia said:
I have heard of pug dog encephalitis...not sure if this applies to your situation, but here is the first link that came up.
http://www.pugman.com/pug information/Pug Dog Encephalitis.htm
I was able to speak with my sil and she is suspecting a slipped disc because it came on so suddenly and suggested they get the dog to an emergency vet asap. I gave my sister the phone number for for the emergency room at UW Madison's vet school, a phone number for a board certified neurologist in Northbrook, IL and my sil's phone number. I know they were taking the dog to a different vet today. Now all I can do is wait.

Annette

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
as a side note, if it IS a slipped disc or spinal injury and they get him fixed up - one of the most important things for afterwards is to make sure the dog is not carrying ANY extra weight. even a pound overweight is enough to put pressure on those spinal injuries, increasing chances of recurrence. i dunno what condition this dog is in, but if he's overweight, they should start slimming him down.

good luck with everything, i hope he'll be okay :)