Processed meat birds - going out for pizza!!

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I don't post too much on here, but I knew I could let all this out here and you'd all understand!!

We just processed 8 out of 24 of our meat birds. First time EVER doing
something like this. Hubby helped some (reluctantly). He had calls in to processors hoping to get a call back with a good price before it was time to start!!! My 11 yo DD helped a ton. Very proud of her.

OK - my back is KILLING me. I think a combo of standing, nerves, and cold!

Just as I was putting them in the fridge, one of the processors called back. The price was very reasonable for the remaining 16. He said it was lower for 24 or more (figures :rolleyes: )
I am pleased with the sense of accomplishment I got from doing this myself, and all the good things that come with that - BUT - I think the others are going to the processor this week. :hide

Honestly, I thought I was fairly detached from the whole thing, but I feel almost sick now.
Kids were asking what was for dinner, my DH said "We're going to town for pizza" Bless his heart. I know it's because he can tell it's needed right now, even though I haven't said any of the negatives to him. I have been all about "it's going to save money doing it ourselves, if you don't want to help I can do it by my self" you get the picture!

How long does it take to get the smell out of your nose? It wasn't near as bad as I was expecting, but we also skinned, not plucked.

Well thanks for "listening". You are all a great bunch. A few months ago I would have been ready to post this on BYC. Now I have no desire to do that, but wanted to share here. Thanks for that!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Congrats on your first processing! The smell goes away quicker when you skin than when you scald and pluck, that's fer sure! :p :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Way to go on doing it yourself!!
My mom originally agreed to help my cull my chickens this year to put in the freezer but now she is wondering just how much it is going to be to take them to be processed! I still think I would at least like to try it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congratulations on the job. It is a major step in SS.

I never knew there was a smell!! Hmm a processor for chicken? I never thought of that. I'll have to make some calls.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Wow, bigbertha. I admire you for "doing it yourself." I'm a sissy when it comes to any type of butchering. If I had to depend upon my butchering ambitions, I be a vegetarian for sure.

My DH says my motto is "If I meet it, I can't eat it."

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I am glad I CAN do it, if ever there comes a time that I HAVE to!! But for now I am going to chicken out :p (sorry couldn't help it) and let the pros do the rest.

I am glad to know where these birds came from, how they were treated, what went in, and more importantly what didn't .

We did thank each for giving it's life so we could eat well before doing the deed, as well as a small prayer of thanks to God for them.

I actually had my computer set up out there with a video from you tube showing how to do it. Followed it through for the first 2, then did the rest on my own!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey big bertha
It isn't in everyone to do this job. But you tackled it and it goes to show in very hard times, YOU CAN DO IT if needed----but honestly...if the price is reasonable, saves you hard work from this job, and they come back neat and wrapped and frozen----THEN go to the processor! I would.

I do not have a local poultry processer. Closest one is 3 hour drive. Just too far to haul them and keep price reasonable. So I do it ourselves, with Tony doing most of the work...LOL...I do the easier stuff, standing back a bit, and am happy to do grunt work while he does the nasty stuff.

SO Horray for you....cause yes God gave us this food......but if you can process cheap....go for it!!!!!

And I sure understand pizza for dinner after! You want to be far away from any meat at that point..LOL--I know!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
:bow

You are a better woman than I!

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure if it's a good price or not....$3 per bird, packaged. DH had done the quiz of how much would you pay?
$5 a bird -- no
$2 a bird -- yes (only AFTER doing them today)
$3 a bird -- yes (only after doing them today)
$4 a bird -- a definite maybe

So when the quote came back $3, I said OK.

It is 1.5 hrs away. There is a place closer. DH is still waiting to hear back from them. So maybe it will get better.

You all have made me feel better. I thought I was letting myself down and would cause a stir out there for not being as SS as I could by doing the rest myself.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh no big bertha
there is no set standard of SS
it is what you are comfortable with.....simple as that!

what one person does easy, another finds hard. one chooses to do a chore one way, another a different way but in the end, you raised the birds. You know the meat and that is a huge plus....and raising them you did not take the birds from a commercial resource, thus staying out of that food chain.

so anything you do is a big plus!

$3 a bird is a good deal and if my place was 1.5 away I might consider it. being 3 hrs. you have to drive there, drop off, come home, return in like 3 days to haul home. Just too many road hrs. for me and my last big process was when GAS was HIGH....LOL

remember your time to process too. if you are not processing, you could be doing other SS stuff....so it all balances out in the end!