Processed meat birds - going out for pizza!!

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks FC! You are right.....as usual!!

Now off for some pepperoni & Bacon Pizza!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Good for you! Now I'm nervous. I'm going to be helping my husband process our cull roosters Mon and I'm worried. I have NEVER heard a nice chicken-killing story :( But, I gotta do it. Wonder how long it takes to be able to eat chicken again... I've done venison but never actually had to kill and then process a chicken.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Good for you! Now I'm nervous. I'm going to be helping my husband process our cull roosters Mon and I'm worried. I have NEVER heard a nice chicken-killing story :( But, I gotta do it. Wonder how long it takes to be able to eat chicken again... I've done venison but never actually had to kill and then process a chicken.
Soak it in salt water over night and eat it the next day. That's how long it takes before you are able to eat chicken again. :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't use salt water but I do chill mine for 24 hours before freezing. If I am canning it, it goes right into the jar. My boys think the canned chicken looks like an exhibition from Area 51!

Trust me, as you process and it starts looking like the chicken you've always seen in the stores~pink and tender, but tastes much better...you will grab it and growl!

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big bertha, way to go! After all that work I think you deserved a meal that you didn't have to cook or clean up.

I haven't processed chickens since I was a young girl ( very long ago), but the smell is one thing that I will never ever forget.

I think I could do it, but I'm not sure DH is ready for that yet. Funny, as he used to hunt and butcher pheasant and other things and then eat it. I suppose it's different when you see them everyday.

Beekissed, I don't know what Area 51 is, but if it's not pretty I totally agree. I processed chicken last year in the pressure canner. I hide them to the back of the shelf. But, the meat is tender and good.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey everyone- thanks for the words of encouragement. Well, I just got done cutting up the chickens. I have to say there was no more smell after spending the night in the fridge. They even seemed to look different - probably my imagination - but I'm grateful none the less!
I have the breasts and tenderloins in the freezer to firm up before I seal them up with the food saver.

Now - we usually only eat the breasts. We don't do fried chicken. (I skinned the whole bird anyway).

So any suggestions on what to do with the legs, and thighs?

And I think I save the rest of the carcass for stock? Is that right?

I go back to work tomorrow, so the stock will have to wait. So I guess I'll just freeze the carcasses until I'm ready to make it and can it. (?)

Also what about using the meat from the legs/thighs to can for things like chicken & noodles, dumplings etc? I know it's all dark meat, but if it is in something like that is that better?

Do you all cook your meat before canning it or do raw pack? Just seems to me cooking it till it was off the bone would be easier, but I don't know.

Thanks for any suggestions.

dacjohns

Reaction score
Don't take this wrong but you only eat the breast? What are the tenderloins, part of the breast (must be an a term used commonly although incorrectly)? (this is my deer, hog, beef, and science background coming out)

Cook the legs, back, wings, and neck in water and whatever vegetables for stock until the meat comes off the bones. Use the meat in whatever you want, the dark meat is excellent. Use the leftover liquid for stock, although you will have lost some flavor by not having the skin. You will be surprised at how much meat is on the back. You don't have to fry; you can bake, broil, BBQ, crockpot, or whatever.

I think you will like your chicken. It will have more texture and flavor.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I said we only eat the breast, I meant that if I'm shopping for chicken I only buy breasts or Chicken tenders (aka tenderloins). Not my word, it's what I've heard them called. Here is a wiki definition:

"the tenderloin is an especially tender cut of meat due to its infrequent use. following the general rule that muscles closer to the spine are more tender as they are not exercised as frequently as others.

this is located under the breast of the chicken and will be weakly attached to the breast when the chicken breast is removed. it will be long and slender with dimensions comparable to a finger."

Thanks for the advice dacjohns. Think I'll toss the rest in the freezer and make my stock etc. next weekend.

I just got the breasts and tenders (better?) vacuum sealed and in the freezer. Love my new Food Saver. It was fast work compared to the processing and cutting up.

dacjohns

Reaction score
That's what I figured for the chicken "tenderloin". Like I said, common usage even if the loin is part of the back. :old

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cool - I enjoy a day when I learn something new. So, do you know what that little special piece is behind the breast? Does it have it's own name? Curious now.