Products that last and you can still get...........

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I was thinking about this when someone mentioned using a spray bottle of diluted dishsoap for wahing dishes. Something that might work well for me. My trouble is that I have yet to have a spray bottle last more than a little while- I have a draw full of bottles whose spray tops don't work and can't fit any other top.
Also I built my house 6 years ago- so far the dishwasher, refridgerator and pressure tank has need replacement. The attic vents have crack and need replacement. I seem to remember fridges lasting decades.....
I can't get shoes to last two seasons.
So to start it off-
I have a Vitamixer that is twenty years old and I use for lots of things from grinding egg shells to mixing frozen fruit smoothies. Just keeps grinding. It's one of those old stainless one- I've seen them on eBay. Have no info on the plastic ones manufactured now.
I have a Mix master mixer that my Mom used for twenty + years before I got it 15 years ago.
I have Tupperware that my Mom bought more than thirty years ago and I inherited- still good.

I don't know if these products are still as good but at least they have a track record.

What's your rusty trusty than can still be purchased?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Weelll, I have a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook that I inherited from my mom. She had it when I was a kid growing up and cooked from it all the time. We had a house fire and this cook book was one of the only things that survived...has some burnt edges, but even those burnt edges aren't falling apart yet!

And I use this everyday :D

I know, not quite what you had in mind, but it was all I could think of.

My husband inherited his grandfather's post hole digger, and he still digs post holes with it (he's out there now setting posts for the goats pen!)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup definitely older tools last. My Dad has his grandad's ax....my Dad has his dad's shovel. never broke yet I bought a few new shovels and they broke fast!!

I have my Mom's grater for cheese, the old one that is a knuckle buster but heck, it will never die that I can tell..LOL

we sacrifice quality for price nowadays...cheaper the better for most people, problem is alot of it will not last.....I have a saying...buy poor, pay twice. Usually the case. Sometimes top dollar on an item is the way to go to ensure some quality.

We do have 3 older tractors that we keep in working condition...not like the new ones we own that take expensive parts and seem to bust up more than the old ones.
We use an extremely old corn planter.....never seems to fail us!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My mother has a Kenmore Suds Saver washing machine that is 30yrs old or older. I do not believe they make them any more. You could save the rinse water to use for the next loads wash water.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My dad has a Westinghouse refridgerator that is 58 years old. It is still his primary fridge. The door gasket has been replaced once and has been painted several different times.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, I can think of a number of things that I've got old ones of and they're great and the item is still manufactured today... BUT, can't think of any of 'em where the item is being manufactured today to the same standards of durability :(

I don't think it is because of overseas manufacture per se, I think it is just that the companies do not want to invest in as sturdy construction. It does cost more to make a GOOD item than a flimsy one, and then of course you can hope to sell the flimsy one over and over and over, sigh.

And a lot of things, people no longer know enough to care. Don't get even me started on leather strap goods or saddles, harnesses etc for horses, and Then Versus Now... :(

Pat

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have some kitchen knives that were my mom's, they can be sharpened and hold an edge, from the late 40's.. Everytime my (adult) children help in the kitchen, they want my knives... I have my grandmother's sifter, works like a charm. I have old cast iron frying pans, that I would never part with--from the 40's. I have a set of Corelle dishes that my parents purchased in 1963--I have a set for 12 with only one of the little bowls broken..and She used a dishwasher for thirty of those yrs.. the entire set looks brand new. I had a Westinghouse stove that was over 35yrs old and was still going when I remodeled my kitchen and gave it away.. and I cook!!!

Sheets: My mom's collection of percale 50 poly/50cotton are still a favorite of my children when they come home..They are for full size beds and fit my guest beds. BUT they are from the 70's and were used for 30yrs. regularly..Because of these sheets, Their 'hand', comfort, long lasting and no peels,.MY oldest searched for Percale sheets and found them.. She loves them..

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our Toyota Carolla (1994 model with 220,000 miles) and our Chevy S10 Pickup (1994 model with 200,000 miles) The Toyota was purchased used, 3 years ago, when we were in the market for another car for my husband to go to work. He has a 70 mile round trip each day, and a pick-up uses more gas. We also have 2 newer vehicles, a 2004 Hyundai Elantra and a 2008 Dodge Dakota but we can not bear to part with our "old girls." The Chevy S10 is now our "plow and hauling truck" so that the new one stays new. The Toyota is still the car of choice when the hubby goes to work, it is great on gas and owes us nothing. She will become a fair weather car this winter because she is a little tired. The Hyundai is mine to get around. Living where we do, we need vehicles that we can trust to get us where we need to go in any weather and during the day or at night. Break downs out here can be a problem (especially in blizzards and sub-zero weather), when the closest house might be 5-10 miles away, and cell service can be sketchy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My dad's 1948 Case tractor, which we bought used about 31 years ago. Still fires up and does the job, no problem. We found out a couple of years ago that my dad had never changed the oil in her! Since she used a little oil, he just kept adding, but never actually changed it! MEN..... :rolleyes: Mom made him change it and the old gal kicked up her heals and really runs like an Ingersoll watch now!