Products that last and you can still get...........

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendation for a pair of women's work boots that can put up with mud, animal poop and hard use? Easy of putting on would be great too- I'm in and out of the house dozens of times each day.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Go to farm store, buy size 7 men's boots (usually teh smallest men's size they carry); add thick felt insole and/or thick socks if necessary. Or if your farm store is well stocked they will have boys' sizes of the same brands, which may suit you if your feet are smaller.

Honestly, though, men's sizes of 'farmer boots' are prolly your best bet (I do not know what brand I have downstairs now, but I *love them*, they are comfier than any actual sneakers or shoes i own!). Don't get the cheapest ones - at a minimum, you want an insulated (probably gel) sole.

Good luck,

Pat

chiknmama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a pair of farm boots - but I also have fat calves, LOL. If you have fat calves, it will be harder to pull them on. I've been looking for a pair of either larger at the top, or lower at the top, to bypass my big @$$ legs, <g>.

I have a pair that I can get on, but they are tight at the top - and scrunch down. I was thinking of cutting them off at a certain point, but after spending the money on them, I am leery of hacking away at the things.

Maybe I'll cut them off and sew on some rainproof cloth at the top with a tie to tighten them around the knees. (I could put some waterproof glue on the seam, too)

I am SURE someone must make pairs like that (maybe LL Bean?) but where to find and how to afford such a thing - they probably cost a lot more.

Peace -
Meriah

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
chiknmama said:
I was thinking of cutting them off at a certain point, but after spending the money on them, I am leery of hacking away at the things.
Find a shoe repair guy -- a DECENT one -- and have hiim put in an elastic gusset. He will cut a slit partway down the top of the calf and sew in an elastic insert. Obviously the elastic insert will not be waterproof, so you don't want the gusset any longer than necessary, but it can be very helpful. Have this done with tall riding boots sometimes.

Good luck,

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Chicknmama wrote: I have a pair of farm boots - but I also have fat calves, LOL. If you have fat calves, it will be harder to pull them on. I've been looking for a pair of either larger at the top, or lower at the top, to bypass my big @$$ legs, <g>.
Try insulated men's Wellingtons! They have a shorter, wide shaft, are waterproof, and last for ages! Some have a crepe sole, some have a lug sole, some just a slick ol' sole like a cowboy boot. I think they look good with jeans also, if you are going to the livestock market. We orders ours out of Sportsmans Guide mag and they have a website online, so its easy. Run about $70 with shipping. I know that's a little more pricey than just rubber farm boots, but they last a long time.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have a pair of insulated, steel toed, rubber boots that I use in the winter. Easy on and off. In the summer I wear crocs.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Sunbeam Mixer that is over 40 years old and still works. I inherited from my Grandma over 10 years ago and have used it 3-4 times a week. I am not sure exactly how old it is but I am sure it is at least 40 years maybe more. I doubt one bought today would last that long.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Anything kitchen related from my grandmothers, I have all of the cast iron pans, old cookie cutters, mixers, etc.
I love using the things that they used for so many years, (they are both passed on or would be over a hundred years old, so this stuff has been used for a while) and they work better than anything you can buy now.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
My big 21 quart water bath canner I got last year from a friend, now in her mid 90's, has decided to stop canning! She got it from her mother as a present in 1942.

My foley mill which was my mother's. She purchased it in 1940. Unfortunately, I broke it last year during canning and have not replaced it yet. All the ones that are affordable are junky looking or made outside the USA.

My candy thermometer, again purchased by mom in 1940. I used it last autumn and it was still working great.

My Ovenex bakeware set, which was my mother's. This is something you can only find in thrift shops these days. But I always get perfect results with them.