1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

propane generator

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by k15n1, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Oct 23, 2012
    k15n1

k15n1 Almost Self-Reliant

I bought a small generator last year, mainly under the influence of people on this site. Thanks for helping me think ahead. Anyhoo, keeping fresh gas on hand is a chore. Now we've moved out to the country (also under the influence of you people) and I have a huge propane tank. Can I get a generator that runs on propane? That would sure be convenient.

2. Oct 23, 2012
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Our RV came with a propane generator....

3. Oct 23, 2012
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

Of course you can! In my area there are more generators powered by propane than by gasoline. When you figure the costs they are very close but if your state has a large gasoline tax like we do, propane is a "no brainer". ~gd

4. Oct 23, 2012
    mrscoyote

mrscoyote Almost Self-Reliant

We have a generator run by propane too.

5. Oct 23, 2012
    RebelCowboySnB

RebelCowboySnB Sustainable Newbie

Propane an gas generators are the same other than the carburetor. A simple adapter between the carburetor an the air filter can be used to adapt a gas generator to run on propane or natural gas an still run on gas when needed too.

youtube.com/watch?v=ugwx_C6ZNIQ

6. Oct 24, 2012
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

OK, I'm going to have to check that out later.

7. Oct 24, 2012
    BarredBuff

BarredBuff El Presidente de Pollo

I guess due to the above posts, but I have never heard of one. I am sure they exist. You can get propane refrigerators, dryers, etc. Why not a generator? :p

8. Oct 24, 2012
    rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Almost Self-Reliant

Not to completely change the subject, but then again, I might in a way.....I really think my next fridge will be run by gas or propane....maybe even a freezer. I'd need less generator power if I didn't have to worry about those 2 appliances anyway. My generator can run on LP, but never has been put to the test. I run my whole house on it, so I figure I'd need a massive tank, so I just go natural gas.

9. Oct 29, 2012
    terri9630

terri9630 Almost Self-Reliant

Natural gas is great until there is a problem with the line. A couple of years ago Albuquerque, or one of the surrounding burbs, lost their natural gas and there were massive problems for people up there. No heat, cooking fuel,water pipes freezing and bursting. Such a mess. I prefer propane and try to always keep out 250gal tank at least half full.

10. Oct 29, 2012
    Emerald

Emerald Lovin' The Homestead

I have been thinking about picking up a small natural gas fridge(or even a propane one) as we had a medium sized one and a small freezer that ran on propane at deer camp(when I was younger) and they were super simple to run and use. Always started right up when we needed them.
    but looking at the prices I was a bit put out.. they are expensive.. to the point that I told hubby that we would be better off buying a small older camper that had one in it and just scavenging one out. My mother thought that it would be a cheap way too. told me she would keep an eye on campers for us.. we just have a small pop up camper with only a propane two burner cooking range. haha told her that if I found one cheap enuf with a top air conditioner I would mount that air conditioner to the roof in my bedroom haha.. my own little air conditioned room! :lol:
    So think about campers and even old motorhome(or do they call them RVs now) and see if one with no engine would have propane fridge or a fridge that could go electric and or propane. might be cheaper.
    back to genny's.. OH I have looked into natural gas back up whole house generators.. they can be pricy but easy to maintain. and they just replaced all of the natural gas hook up/pipe lines in our area.. I've been without power for over 10 days but never lost natural gas(knock on wood)