1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

propane generator

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by k15n1, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Oct 30, 2012
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I have a gasoline operated small generator. Buying gasoline for it after hurricane IKE a few years ago was a special challenge. At work, the boss sent out a driver every day with everyone's gas cans, so employees could show up for work. The driver had to go over 100 miles to find operating stations and stations that weren't out of gasoline. Not to mention the expense of ponying up the cash everyday at a time when money is really popular. So, if I were to do it again, especially if I lived out of town, I would definately go porpane. With a full tank, it would give some breathing room while I focused on other areas that needed my attention.

2. Oct 30, 2012
    the funny farm6

the funny farm6 Almost Self-Reliant

i havent seen any propane powered generators around here. might be a more localized market in different areas.

3. Nov 3, 2012
    chickenjoe

chickenjoe Power Conserver

4. Nov 21, 2012
    mamaluv321

mamaluv321 Lovin' The Homestead

5. Jan 6, 2013
    wooddustmaker

wooddustmaker Lovin' The Homestead

FWIW, I am going to look at the tri-fuel option. Propane, NG, or gas. Stored propane will never go bad. Typically the NG supply lines don't go down. It can happen, but seems to be very rare in my area. My plan is to store my propane, and use it as a last resort. Cooking, heating, whatever. NG seems to be fairly cheap. I will use it as long as I can, than go to the back up plans.

6. Jan 29, 2013
    buckcreek

buckcreek Sustainable Newbie

My place has an Onan 7.5KW generator that runs on propane. I have two fuel tanks, 1 - 500gal. and 1 - 1000 gal. Which really only hold 80% of that total. This gives me 2 years worth of fuel, plus. That way, I can wait for a year with lower prices. My rental fee is free on one tank, and $90, on the other. Might seem like alot, but I can save easily $1/gal on fuel, when prices were even higher than now. My generator runs to pump water, and on these dark days, to recharge the battery bank. I also have cookstove, hot water heater(summer), refrigerator and vent-less wall heater(pump room).
    This summer, I had alot of problems with my main generator, but luckily, had a back-up gasoline portable 8 KW one to run for a month. Seemed tough, after letting the auto setting work on the main system! What a relief, being able to slowly tinker with the faulty one, and still have a functional means of generating power. Bought it 4 years ago, just in case, and it save my mind!
    So ... fuel that doesn't go bad over time, propane, and having a backup, is #1 for my place.

7. Aug 3, 2013
    robinhoodie

robinhoodie Enjoys Recycling

In my view you have two options, either get a conversion kit for your gas generator or buy a propane generator. The benefit with the conversion kit is that it's cheap and then you have a generator with a gas tank that can also run on propane, it's good, it's flexible. But it is a bit of a hassle unless you're mechanically gifted and you will void your guarantee on your generator if you do the conversion, at least that's what I suspect. Getting a propane generator is thus a pretty good choice, you have a guarantee, you have a good source of fuel. Propane doesn't spoil like gas and can be stored indefinitely. And if you, like me, don't use it very often, even better because then you don't have to replace that fuel you have in your garage at all, unlike with a gas generator.

Some of my American friends bought their propane generator through http://propanegenerator.biz

8. Aug 5, 2013
    k15n1

k15n1 Almost Self-Reliant

I'm interested in this conversion you mentioned. How does one convert a 4-stroke gas engine to propane? Is there a kit or something?