1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  1. Sep 6, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I had my wife order propane last week. The truck came today and put in a little over 350 gallons in the 500 gallon tank. The driver handed my the recipe and I had to ask if the price of .98 a gallon was correct. Yes he said, man was I happy!

Eventhough temps are still hot, now is the time to get that propane tank filled for winter :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    tortoise, sumi and Beekissed like this.
  2. Sep 6, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I guess that must be a good price? Congrats on getting a bargain! I need to tell my son to think about getting his tank filled.

3. Sep 6, 2019
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Good deal! We don't heat with propane, just cook with it, so we rarely get a fill. My son heats with it, though, so will let him know it's a good time to get a fill...that is, if those prices are evident here like they are where you live, CC.

4. Sep 6, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

That's almost "free" here. I find it parallels the price of gasoline most often. I have a propane heater, so a 100 lb or gal (whatever they call it). It's in the living room and looks like a wood heater. Will heat the entire downstairs and less expensive than running the heat pump. It doesn't need electric to run, so always have heat available. Yeah, can put a pot on top to cook, too. :D

Better call and ask the prices here, this year. Will fill up soon anyway. Gasoline is about $2.15 gal right now.

5. Sep 6, 2019
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

We pre-order and use "Keep Full". We get today's low price for the entire winter that way, and it helps the company because if they are in the area with a truck filling someone else, they can top us off to finish off the load instead of driving back to the shop with leftover propane. It's kinda like we are buying it all for the winter now and they store it for us.

Our gasoline is still at $2.69. Looks like propane is around $1.25.

@Mini Horses Can you post a picture of your propane heater? It sounds nice to have.

We have a pellet fireplace insert to help heat our house. Love that radient heat!

tortoise likes this.
  6. Sep 7, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Say what? Propane here is ALWAYS more expensive than gasoline.

7. Sep 12, 2019
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

yep, was a nice surprise! We pre-fill too! Will last us the winter. We only use it when temps are between 10 - 50 degrees or so. But IDK, the low propane price might be related to DH not having put any wood in the basement yet.... :gig

frustratedearthmother likes this.