Propane

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had my wife order propane last week. The truck came today and put in a little over 350 gallons in the 500 gallon tank. The driver handed my the recipe and I had to ask if the price of .98 a gallon was correct. Yes he said, man was I happy!

Eventhough temps are still hot, now is the time to get that propane tank filled for winter :)

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess that must be a good price? Congrats on getting a bargain! I need to tell my son to think about getting his tank filled.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Good deal! We don't heat with propane, just cook with it, so we rarely get a fill. My son heats with it, though, so will let him know it's a good time to get a fill...that is, if those prices are evident here like they are where you live, CC.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's almost "free" here. I find it parallels the price of gasoline most often. I have a propane heater, so a 100 lb or gal (whatever they call it). It's in the living room and looks like a wood heater. Will heat the entire downstairs and less expensive than running the heat pump. It doesn't need electric to run, so always have heat available. Yeah, can put a pot on top to cook, too. :D

Better call and ask the prices here, this year. Will fill up soon anyway. Gasoline is about $2.15 gal right now.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We pre-order and use "Keep Full". We get today's low price for the entire winter that way, and it helps the company because if they are in the area with a truck filling someone else, they can top us off to finish off the load instead of driving back to the shop with leftover propane. It's kinda like we are buying it all for the winter now and they store it for us.

Our gasoline is still at $2.69. Looks like propane is around $1.25.

@Mini Horses Can you post a picture of your propane heater? It sounds nice to have.

We have a pellet fireplace insert to help heat our house. Love that radient heat!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
yep, was a nice surprise! We pre-fill too! Will last us the winter. We only use it when temps are between 10 - 50 degrees or so. But IDK, the low propane price might be related to DH not having put any wood in the basement yet.... :gig

PatriciaPNW

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a propane heater in the rental trailer. My aunt lived there a while and thought that with the cost of a tank rental it was too much versus electric heat. She was pretty negative about things in general though so maybe it’s time for a rethink. I can check what buying a tank costs and research vs electric. Have I mentioned how much I like homesteading sites? This one too makes me think, plan, prepare etc.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a propane heater in the rental trailer. My aunt lived there a while and thought that with the cost of a tank rental it was too much versus electric heat. She was pretty negative about things in general though so maybe it’s time for a rethink. I can check what buying a tank costs and research vs electric. Have I mentioned how much I like homesteading sites? This one too makes me think, plan, prepare etc.

SS is my favorite site. I do lots of different things as hobbies. I have to have at least 2 or 3 active hobbies going at the same time to avoid boredom and stay out of trouble. This site gives me so many ideas and different things to try.

Latest posts