Propane

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think we pay for a tank here. The company sets it up. When you change companies, the company hauls their tank out, and the new company brings in their tank and attaches it.

we found propane to be absolutely over the top expensive to use. We once had a propane stove heating about 400 s.f. of well insulated basement, and it was costing us $100/month. That was about 20 years ago. Finally, we just hauled that old cast iron stove off to the dump yesterday. Good riddance.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a propane heater in the rental trailer. My aunt lived there a while and thought that with the cost of a tank rental it was too much versus electric heat. She was pretty negative about things in general though so maybe it’s time for a rethink. I can check what buying a tank costs and research vs electric. Have I mentioned how much I like homesteading sites? This one too makes me think, plan, prepare etc.

we do not pay any rental fee for the tank we have. we did have the last supplier nail us for a low usage amount and they tried to sell us the tank, but they have since sold that part of their business to another supllier which is much more reasonable and we won't likely hit the low usage amount for them.

to me the nice thing with electricity heat would be that it is usually available and it can be more sustainable if you are getting the juice via windmill or solar. the nice thing about propane heat is that it works when the electricity is out (if you have the right setup - we don't really but that's a different story :) ). once you've made the investment in the systems though having both gives you a bit of a redundant situation (for us that is important it being cold up here in the winter).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think we pay for a tank here. The company sets it up. When you change companies, the company hauls their tank out, and the new company brings in their tank and attaches it.

we found propane to be absolutely over the top expensive to use. We once had a propane stove heating about 400 s.f. of well insulated basement, and it was costing us $100/month. That was about 20 years ago. Finally, we just hauled that old cast iron stove off to the dump yesterday. Good riddance.

that was a very inefficient furnace! for the entire small house here it depends upon the price of propane, but this year i'd be surprised if we go over $100/mo.