Psoriasis help

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just looking to see if anyone has ideas for helping with psoriasis. I've had flare ups with it on my head off and on since my teens. Usually just patches and I could treat them and get it to sort of go away for a while. Usually in the hair behind my ears and spots in the outer ear.

I've had a bad flare up in both outer ears and on the scalp that's driving me nuts. The lotion I make helps relieve symptoms but doesn't make it go away. I also was the ears with apple cider vinegar in the mornings because that does help.

Anyone have ideas for help?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I experimented today. Through all the reading I've done, it's possible that an acetic acid solution for the ears might help. Doctor I tried to talk about that with before brushed it off. Otic solution for is somewhat expensive and prescription only. For humans. For dogs it's cheap and over the counter for the same stuff. So my ears smell like apples.

This was a nasty flare up instead of the normal small patch or two. I have to say that the otic solution has stopped the itching. I'll find out in a day or so if it stopped the scaling.

I'm always open for anything that helps. I just wish it wouldn't get worse as I get older.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's an autoimmune response from what i recall. you can do topicals all you want but that won't deal with the underlying condition. there are treatments now that help but i'm not sure if you are into doctor visits and sorting things out that ways.

i would start with aloe vera gel lotion. very simple stuff and often helpful.

i have ears that itch. a topical application of hydrocortizone cream takes care of that, but it doesn't resolve why my body reacts to my ear wax. :( i don't want to take any other action right now.

i should try aloe vera gel for my ears. lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks. That lotion I make to help skin heal works on it some for a time before it flares, then I can switch to Carmex. The slight numbing property of that stops the itching as well. So I've been switching off on them for a couple years now.

I cannot use antibiotic ointments on the ears. Well I'm terrified of trying any more of them. I tried a triple antibiotic ointment once in one ear and half my face swelled up. Doctor said don't use it on sensitive skin again as I'm apparently intolerant one of the chemicals. I react to the weirdest things sometimes. Like how I can eat baking soda just fine, but it will burn my skin.

I've gotten the flare up that was covering the entire top of my head to calm down to just a 1x2 oval of just lightly scaled skin. Wash hair first in shower and let apple cider vinegar set on it while doing everything else before rinsing. It burns like mad, but part of that is that I unconsciously scratch and open sores. I catch myself too often and can't help it.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There is a thread on this site for topical lotions and potions. I posted a poison ivy salve there. I'd make up a batch of that. Key ingredients are plantain, sage, and jewel weed in a bees wax, coconut and olive oil base. My Dad uses it on his dry flaky skin. Have you done hydrocortisone? I'd use combination of hydrocortisone and the PI salve. We're gonna need to be more adept at self diagnosing and treating our illnesses and conditions as time goes forward.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i dont have a clue, but i hope someone can help. that sounds taxing to say the least

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My son has eczema, I was frantically searching for an answer and found that people have been successfully using organic caster oil.

I don't if this can be used for psoriasis but it may be worth looking it up. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hydrocortizone cream is not an antibiotic cream, it is an anti itch cream.

aloe vera gel is very mild in my experience. we both use it for various things as a first try because it is pretty gentle on us.

apple cider vinegar i use along with aloe vera gel on the arm pits because so far it has worked even better than any commercial deoderant i've ever tried. i can't use many because of the smells they put in them. ACV doesn't bother my sense of smell.

Latest posts