Pure Maple Syrup??

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am not sure about all of you but maple syrup where I live has sky rocketed. Does anyone have a source for syrup in bulk? Say 5-6 gallon bucket
thanks, gina

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am seriously not being a wise a**. But is there any way you could tap your own.
People around here do it all the time, they even just did this at my son's school.
I would love to do it, only all of my maple trees are now gone because they fell or had to be cut down due to a dangerous situation.
There is a place near me that also does lessons on it every year.

I agree, I cannot believe how expensive the real stuff is.
I mean you can get"pancake syrup" for a couple of bucks but the pure stuff is getting outreageous.
I make a pumpkin maple cheesecake and the pure maple syrup is the most expensive item to buy for it.

These are a couple of links I found to a group of whole sale sellers. I found that the rest of the sites online sell for anywhere from $35.99 to $59.99 for a gallon.
The links below have better prices.

http://www.calibex.com/maple-syrup-wholesale/zzcalibex2zB1z0--search-html

http://www.best-price.com/productse...advanced&OVADID=5691976021&OVKWID=59857803521

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In my experience, the cheapest way if to find local folks who do it. In the store it's always much more expensive than if you have a friend or co-worker or friend-of-a-friend who makes some.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a tree in my yard that looks very much like a sugar maple, but I discovered, through research, that I will never get any syrup out of it because it's too warm here. I don't know where Vista is, (or what the climate is like anywhere in CA for that matter LOL) but unless you have a lot of hours of very cold weather, you are not likely to have much local maple syrup.

There is just nothing like it!

I try to buy it instead of pancake syrup because pancake syrup is made out of high fructose corn syrup, which I avoid as much as possible. But geeze. It's the difference between $2 for the Mrs. Butterworth and $10 for maple! So, we've been doing without... actually eating waffles and pancakes with homemade pear honey or jelly/jam.

It's enough to make you wanna cry, isn't it?

I found this recipe for a substitute that I may try.
http://homecooking.about.com/od/condimentrecipes/r/blcon119.htm
Next time I am shopping, I'm going to look for some maple extract. It's worth a shot anyway.

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we have a lassy mill and made and sold molasses for a long time. stopped about 2 years ago, too much work and hard to grow good cane here in NC.

But for maple syrup, I would call a restaurant supplier. They have the institutional sized buckets of everything. Find a restuarant supplier in the yellow pages and see if you can purchase. Sometimes they sell direct to the public for big volume sizes of stuff like syrup. could be a good savings to you.

hope that helps a little

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. My mother allways made our syrup with the sugar/brown sugar recipe. I guess I am just spoiled now. I did find a couple of links with prices at about 30.00 for the half gallon. Locally it's about 35. so I guess it depends on how much shipping is.

By the way, Vista is in North San Diego county. I actually live south of the north most border check point. If that makes sence. We are kinda rural here but city close. It is usually very hot and does not get nearly cold enough for tapping my own trees. (if I had a Maple tree) I do have access to a ton of avocados. Any Canadians out there with syryup want to trade??? :D

You know after checking prices I guess I have been paying about the same. Just my local bulk store has not had any. They brought is some fancy stuff that is way more expensive. I imagine with the holidays comming I should buy my nuts vanilla etc now. The stores allway jack up the price. Go figure.
Thanks gina

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks gina for the reminder to start to get the holiday stuff now before the jack up in prices! holidays are coming fast! LOL

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Many many years ago you used to able to get maple syrup products near Julian but I'm pretty sure the products were not from the area.

You might be able to get nuts for a decent price between Elsinore and Corona.

Vanilla from Mexico.